Parking Lot Party at the Weekend of Champions

The Tailgate Party sponsored by the Oakland University Student Congress provided fun and exposure for various student organizations and clubs.

Held Oct. 4 in the P17 parking lot, OUSC provided food, games and entertainment for students.

Patrick Cymbalski, a DJ and general manager for WXOU, was on hand providing music and a chance for students to learn about the radio station.

Cymbalski said this tailgate has been going on for as long as he can remember. Although Welcome Week is over, Cymbalski believes there is still fun to be had.

Cymbalski is happy to see the turnout at the tailgate and to see that students are genuinely enjoying themselves.

“Having a tailgate as a main event, it brings a whole new level to OU,” Cymbalski said. 

According to Cymbalski, the tailgate provides an opportunity for students to come interact with the DJ’s at the WXOU tent.

“They can discover WXOU without being afraid to go into the station,” Cymbalski said.

Student athletes could be seen wearing their jerseys and uniforms in support of OU club sports and athletics.

Defensive lineman for the OU Football Club Christopher Harris was eager to get the word out about OU’s first football team.

Harris has played football all of his life, including four years of semi-professional.

To Harris, the team is about more than just winning games. He has high hopes for the team’s future, including becoming a Varsity team and someday becoming Division I.

“I’m all about meaning, setting a foundation for this school,” he said. “This is history in the making.”

The team won their home opener against Columbus State Community College 36-28 at the Auburn Hills Civic Center.

Junior Rachel Redford was thrilled to come out to the tailgate and hang out with friends.

“OU has great events to get the students involved,” Redford said.

A member of Alpha Delta Pi and president of Greek Council, Redford loves being able to work and mingle with fellow students.  

“There are so many phenomenal people here,” Redford said.

To senior Miranda Divozzo, the tailgate is about having fun and being carefree.

As vice president of Student Video Production and chairperson of Student Life Lecture Board, Divozzo can get busy within the office and enjoys being able to get out to actually talk with the students.

Divozzo believes being able to chat with students at events like these really makes a difference in recruiting people for organizations.

The tailgate is one of the big kick-off events of the year, and Divozzo couldn’t be happier with how it has turned out.

“I’m ready for a good year, we’re off to a good start,” Divozzo said.