Republican Vice Presidential Nominee Paul Ryan to hold rally on campus

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan will be at Oakland University on Monday.

Ryan will host a rally at 7 p.m. in the O’rena. Doors will open at 5 p.m., and attendees can expect “airport-like security,” according to a press release. The event is free and open to the public.

Michigan musician Kid Rock will be introducing Ryan before his speech, the Detroit News is reporting. The musician recently played at a rally in support of GOP Presidential Nominee Mitt Romney at the Royal Oak Music Theatre on Feb. 27.

University President Garry Russi sent out a campus-wide email Sunday morning about the event, expressing his excitement.

“The fact that Oakland continues to win the attention and recognition of individuals, groups and institutions interacting at the national level is a testament to the fine work of all within the university community,” Russi said in the email. “To the faculty, staff, students, alumni and supporters of Oakland, thank you for what you are doing to make Oakland the fine institution that has only begun to find a spotlight on the national stage.”

Russi said the rally will be on a much lesser scale than last year’s CNBC Republican Presidential Debate.

“The rally is sure to attract local, regional and national press coverage, which will once again demonstrate our commitment to hosting events that encourage discourse on important social issues,” he said. “At the same time, the event will further advance Oakland’s growing level of visibility and respected reputation.”

There are no additional plans for future rallies at this point, according to Ted Montgomery, OU’s director of media relations.

There are 300 tickets reserved for students, according to the Oakland website. Tickets can be picked up at the Center for Student Activities service window starting at 9 a.m. Monday. Students are required to bring a their Grizzly ID and Grizz card to register.

Additional tickets are available from Romney’s campaign offices in Lake Orion, Bloomfield Hills, Utica and Royal Oak and on Romney’s website. The campaign offices are open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.

A shuttle bus will be transporting people from Meadow Brook Music Festival from 4:30-9:45. The recreation center will also close at 2 p.m.