OU dancers practice for perfection

By NICOLE JACOB

Contributing Reporter

To the casual eye, dance may be seen as no more than just another form of exercise. But Samantha Bingham, a junior in Oakland University’s Repertory Dance Company, begs to differ.

“This is not just some sport, this is an art form,” Bingham said.  

It may come as a surprise to some Oakland University students that the school offers a program of study in dance. A common misconception about the program is, as senior Amanda Woodcox explains, “people don’t know that it’s a major and when they do, they question what we can do with it.”

Unlike most of the programs at OU, there is an audition required just to get in. Once a student is accepted, they learn many types of dance.

“All dance students are expected to continually improve and become more technically advanced,” Greg Patterson, the director of the dance program, said.

Oakland University’s dance program also gives students a good foundation for those who are immersing themselves in the program.

“It depends on how proactive you are in the program,” senior Justin Dettloff said. “It’s all about being passionate.”

There are two types of groups that make up Oakland’s dance program. The Oakland Dance Theatre (ODT) is where a dancer would begin. ODT is offered mostly during the fall and winter semesters and counts as a one credit course.

The other program is the Oakland University Repertory Dance Company, which is more advanced. The program is comprised of mostly upperclassmen and mainly serves as more performing experience for the dancers.

It is considered to be a pre-professional dance team and requires one to two years of experience with ODT to be accepted.

Every March, OU’s dance teams take part in the American College Dance Festival (ACDF). This year, the festival was held at Western Michigan University, March 5-8. All certified dance companies at colleges across the country get together in different regions. Oakland belongs to the Midwest Region. They partake in multiple classes and perform every night of the festival.

Crystal Payter, a sophomore dance major, offers some advice to new dance students or any student interested in joining the dance program.

“Really work hard on your own,” said Payter. “It will put you one step closer. The professors only give you so much direction.”

Woodcox agrees that those interested in the program should make sure they are truly passionate about the art.

“Experience dance outside in the community before you decide on it as a career,” she said.

Those interested in the dance program can see the results of the program’s education when some of the dancers perform in the Young Choreographers Forum April 10-13 at Varner Studio Theatre. For more information, visit www.oakland.edu/mtd.