Many ways to eliminate stress

By KATHLEEN QUANDT

Staff Intern

So, we are nearing the end of the school year and now there’s a list of things to finish on top of studying for exams. It’s easy to get stressed out when you’re in college.

Stress can cause heart disease, sleep problems, and obesity among many other health problems. Long-term stress can leave you more vulnerable to anxiety and depression.

Where does all the stress come from? According to Stress in College: Causes of Stress in College Students by Elizabeth Scott, M. S., stress from good-old academics is a common cause. Students are much more independent in college compared to high school, and they face the challenge of scheduling, exams and studying long hours.

For college students, many stresses are from social changes. College freshman are often away from home for the first time and have to face leaving the comfort of their social circle at home and finding a new one at school. Many students have to deal with balancing their school life with their social life and with the dynamics of young adult relationships.

Of course, there is a long list of stressors, from staying up late to deciding upon a major. What should a stressed-out student do?

Relieving stress can be simple. According to College Life – How to Reduce Stress in College Life by Elizabeth Scott, there are four ways to relieve stress.

Get organized by creating a quiet living space, and plan a schedule that allows for you to get things done.

Regular exercise, even if it is in ten-minute increments, can be helpful in reducing stress. Take advantage of walking on campus and try the rec center at school.

Eating healthy and getting enough sleep are also important factors in reducing stress as well as finding support by staying connected with home.

My favorite stress busters include yoga, reading, taking a hot bath, or just listening to music or watching a favorite movie to wind down.

So, when you are scheduling in some study time around work and school, don’t forget to write in a little rest and relaxation.