OU alum works to help shape future

Advisers at Oakland University help hundreds of students decide on issues from choosing a major to analyzing personal strengths and weaknesses.

In the Advising Resource Center, Lindsay Oliver, a career and academic counselor, spends much of her time helping students decide their futures.

After earning her bachelor’s degree and master’s degree from OU, Oliver decided to apply for a job in the school’s advising department.

“My first day here as a freshman, I fell in love with the campus and said that I wanted to work here after I graduated,” Oliver said.

Another reason she decided to work at OU is because she wanted to help in an academic setting.

“I chose to work at a university because I want to help students as they shape their future,” Oliver said.

Through counseling career services, students can take personality assessment tests. From there, Oliver helps them look at which careers and majors may suit them best.

Other tasks that Oliver takes on include one-on-one career counseling with undecided students, academic advising, and major exploration appointments.

Small group sessions, workshops, degree and majors fairs, and online workshops are also offered through the Advising Resource Center.

All services offered at the center are free to students.

An upcoming program from the center is scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 5 from 12-12:50 p.m. in rooms 129 and 130 in the Oakland Center. The workshop, titled “How do your interests relate to your career choice?” is designed to help students think of ways they can make a living while doing things they enjoy.

Another upcoming advising event is an online workshop called “What can I do with this major?” on Thursday, Nov. 19 from 4-4:50 p.m.

Oliver said she enjoys her career because she gets a chance to build a relationship with the students.

“I love that I get the chance to connect with students at a deeper level,” Oliver said. “Our career workshops are a great way for students to learn about career exploration in a fun, interactive setting.”

On the other hand, Oliver said that working at the Advising Resource Center can be challenging, as students aren’t aware of the services the office provides.

Although Oliver spends a significant amount of time working with her students, she leads an active life outside of the workplace as well.

When she isn’t working, Oliver spends her time running, kick boxing and playing softball and volleyball.

Oliver said she most wants students to know that there are a multitude of programs being offered at the center

“The Advising Resource Center is a valuable resource for students to learn about majors and careers,” Oliver said.”It’s a great opportunity to learn about yourself and what you want in a career.”

Students can schedule appointments with Oliver or the other advisers by calling 248-370-3227. The center is located in 121 North Foundation Hall.