Prof named teacher of the year

Oakland University professor Mary Stein has many roles.

To her family, she is wife, mother and grandmother. Married for over 30 years, Stein is the proud mother of four and spends as much of her down time as possible traveling coast-to-coast to visit her family, and “beautiful grandsons.”

“One son lives in Boston area and is a college student, my daughter lives on the opposite coast, in Seattle, and another son and his family live in Bloomington, Indiana,” Stein said.

In addition to her family responsibilities, Stein enjoys any activity that involves “invoking creativity.” From cross-stitch to cookie bouquets, she experiments in any hobby where she can channel her creativity.

Professionally, Stein’s role has just as many facets. 

An elementary education science professor at OU, Stein is the chairperson of the Institutional Review Board, overseeing research on human subjects at OU; and the School of Education and Human Services Dean Advisory Committee, leading the search for a new SEHS Dean. 

But Stein isn’t bothered by the workload that accompanies all of her titles. 

“These activities take a lot of my time and energy —  they are important responsibilities and I am honored to serve in these roles,” Stein said.

This year she added another role.

In January, the Board of Michigan Science Teachers named Stein 2010 College Science Association Teacher of the Year.

“I feel very lucky to have received this award because there are many who are worthy of receiving it,” said Stein. “I am also excited to have received it because it helps to bring statewide attention to the fine science teaching we have at Oakland University.”

The award, which is chosen through a teacher and student nomination process, recognizes innovative teaching methods, offering inspiration to students, and passion for both students and science. 

Stein, who plans her lessons with a “hands-on, minds-on, hearts-in” approach, believes that engaging students through interactive lessons relevant to their lives keeps things fresh and interesting.

“I design activities that will actively engage students in inquiring and critical thinking that generates genuine interest or enthusiasm because the lesson or topic is new to them and is relevant to their lives,” Stein said. “I also know that students learn a lot from each other as well. I build a lot of student interaction into each course session.”

Elementary education student, Katie Ziegeler, found Stein’s class to be informative and enjoyable.

“She is a wonderful woman,” said Ziegeler. “She is very kind and always willing to help. She always liked to make sure that everyone understood the material that was being taught.”

Stein’s love for science and teaching stems from her mother, Dolores Miller, who was Stein’s 8th grade science teacher and high school chemistry teacher.

“Once I became a chemistry teacher, I was calling her all the time to discuss how to approach teaching specific topics,” she said. “We went to science teaching conferences together and presented together for many years.”

In addition to her mother, Stein also found role models through her college years. At SUNY College at Buffalo, Stein’s science methods teacher, Dr. Joyce Swartney, taught her to always be “innovative and direct,” and never allow the subject to get dry. She said this is a goal she strives to work toward each day still.

Although the award is an individual recognition, Stein believes it will also benefit OU by putting the spotlight on an Oakland professor and students alike.

“It is the individuals who make up Oakland that set us apart,” said Stein. “We have dedicated, award-winning faculty who strive to make learning come alive.  We have students who work so hard, both inside and outside of the classroom, to achieve their dreams.”