Opera performance merges with vampire phenomenon

It’s no secret that the trend of vampire-crazed culture has created a large following.

This fall, a Meadow Brook Theatre production will attempt to captivate members of that audience.

The rock opera “Dracula” will preview on Oct. 6 and run until Oct. 31.  Meadow Brook Theatre, adjacent to Wilson Hall, will have 27 “Dracula” performances this month.

Given the theme and its rising popularity, Meadow Brook Theatre will attempt to take advantage of the growing interest in vampires.

“It seemed like now was the optimal time to bring about this production,” said Travis Walter, the artistic director at Meadow Brook Theatre.

Although the trend can be largely accredited to the cinematic release of the “Twilight” series, this production is no “Twilight,” according to Chris Tefft, an ensemble member in the show.

“This is the real deal,” Tefft said.  “This is definitely a show for fans of ‘Twilight,’ but ours will have more of that blood and guts aspect — dark and beautiful.”

With Halloween rapidly approaching, the timing appears to suit the season. “For the past few years we’ve tried to bring a literary classic to life in the fall and to make it a spooky one,” Walter said.  “Dracula seems to fit the criteria.”

The play is adapted from the original novel, written by Bram Stoker.

Compared with other interpretations of “Dracula,” this production relies heavily on authentic material.

Viewers can expect that much of the genuine substance of the original will be portrayed in the rock opera.

“It is, by name, a rock opera.  But, I think it would be more appropriate to be considered a rock musical,” said Tefft.  “When people hear opera, it often gives the negative connotation of a dead art.”

While focused on original content, the action and effects aim to provide an exciting, contemporary feel.  The show will feature a six-piece live band, larger than any the theatre has seen in recent years.

Tefft describes the music as upbeat, exciting and soulful.

“There are lots of special effects and surprises that will hopefully make your jaw drop,” Walter said.  The Meadow Brook Theatre performance intends to deliver a unique and edgy rendition of the classic.

The theatre, formerly a branch of Oakland University’s theatre department, has since established itself among the most reputable production companies in Michigan.  From its humble beginnings, it has evolved into one of the largest productions in the state.

As a unionized company, the theatre has been able to attract talent from across the nation.

“It’s really exciting for me, as a young professional, to have the opportunity to work in a high-class institution,” Tefft said.  “Many work here year to year, and that’s a great thing.”

Students at Oakland provide an invaluable resource to Meadow Brook Theatre.  Located in the heart of campus, it hopes to draw in students to enjoy the show.

“All of our productions can really benefit from the support of the Oakland community,” said Tefft, who hopes the popularity of the shows will grow weekly.

“Word of mouth is a big reason people come to watch.”

“We would love for our faithful subscribers to walk away feeling that they had a new experience at the theatre and for all of our new audience to be excited about things to come here at the theatre,” said Walter.

Students can purchase $10 tickets in advance or on the day of a performance at the box office with a valid student I.D. Ticketmaster is charging $29.95 per ticket.