Professor Profile: Hye Seung Chung

In the world of cinema, “the possibilities are infinite,” according to Hye Seung Chung, Assistant Professor of English and Cinema Studies.

Chung received her bachelor’s degree in English at Ewha Woman’s University in Seoul, South Korea, her master’s in cinema studies at the City University of New York and  her Ph.D. in film and television at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Before joining Oakland University in the Fall 2010, Chung worked as a postdoctoral fellow of Korean Studies at the University of Michigan, then as a visiting assistant professor of comparative literature at Hamilton College, and then as an assistant professor of American studies at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

Chung landed her job at OU after interviewing for the position of a world cinema specialist in the cinema studies program.

“Although I enjoyed teaching films from interdisciplinary perspectives, my ultimate goal has always been to find a home in a cinema studies program, an environment where I can realize my full potential as a film and media scholar,” Chung said.

Chung published her first book, “Hollywood Asian: Philip Ahn and the Politics of Cross-Ethnic Performance,” through Temple University Press in 2006. Her second book, dealing with the films of contemporary Korean film director Kim Ki-duk, will be published this year or early next year by the University of Illinois Press.

“I liked her interesting choices in films,” said Paul Delasko, a senior majoring in integrative studies. “Her nationality brought an interesting perspective of each film’s portrayal/depictions of foreigners and minority groups.”

Chung’s philosophy is that peer learning is as important as her own instruction.

“I am deeply committed to developing a curriculum that will facilitate an awareness of diversity and multiculturalism among OU students,” Chung said.

This semester, Chung is teaching two courses on campus:  Masterpieces of world cinema, which is ENG 260 and the Cold War in American film and television, which is CIN 450.