Professor Profile: Jason Schmitt

Are you afraid of public speaking? Jason Schmitt has the teaching strategy to help you overcome not only the fear of presenting yourself in public, but also presenting yourself to the entire world.

Known for teaching public speaking and  group dynamics classes, Schmitt, a lecturer in the communications department, just started teaching a new class called broadcasting through social media.

The first class of its kind in Michigan, students have communicated with people as far away as Italy by using Skype.

Schmitt attended University of Michigan, Dearborn where he received his bachelor’s degree.

“I hated school,” he said. “I didn’t have any good professors.”

This made him want to change the relationship between teacher and student; he didn’t want to be just another “boring” lecture.

Schmitt obtained his master’s degree from Eastern Michigan University and later got his Ph.D. from Bowling Green University.

He used to work for recording studios, including Atlantic Records, and was able to interview rock legends like Slash, Kid Rock, Alice Cooper and Motorhead.

Currently, he is interviewing businessmen in Detroit like Alfred Taubman and Dan Gilbert.

He is very excited about his upcoming trip to Scotland where he will present the creativity of Detroit at the University of St. Andrews, and said that his broadcasting class helped him land the opportunity.

Schmitt encourages his students to stand out and have high goals.

Sarah Moussally, a junior majoring in history, loves the connections he helped her develop.

“He got all of us to become good friends for the semester and it made giving speeches a little more bearable. I enjoyed his daily ‘Question of the Day.’ I think it helped us become friends with one another.”