Guitar Day shows sharps, flats of a music degree

Students must navigate the College of Arts and Sciences, both figuratively and literally, throughout the years of their education at Oakland University. Since the visibility of individual departmental offerings can become clouded, some OU students and faculty members are actively working to increase the presence and popularity of the music program through guitar.

On April 23, OU’s first ever Guitar Day invites prospective students to take a closer look inside the music program at OU.  Bret Hoag, applied instructor in guitar, jazz guitar, guitar ensemble and methods in the music department, is heading the event, which provides an interactive experience for those contemplating a major in music.

Before teaching at Oakland, Hoag had worked at a handful of schools and ran the guitar program at IUPUI. He brings with him a wealth of knowledge and performing experience, providing opportunities to engage in discussion and observe demonstration during the six-hour session. Central aspects of the Saturday workshop include music reading and improvisational skills.

“It gives students a look at what it takes to earn a music degree, because a lot of kids don’t know,” Hoag said.

OU sophomore and guitar enthusiast Mike Size admittedly falls into that category.

“I didn’t know OU even offered courses in guitar,” Size said. “I’m somewhat familiar with our music department, but I didn’t think courses were offered strictly for that instrument. Guitar Day is a great idea though, especially if it spreads awareness about the kinds of music programs that are offered here.”

Students majoring in any instrument must first audition with the department to be accepted into the program. According to Hoag, a primary focus of Guitar Day is to help incoming students with preparation for an audition.

“We’ll talk about and practice technique, because some (techniques) are often overlooked,” Hoag said. “Some students, for example, have experience with rock music, but know nothing about classical or jazz. Guitar Day helps them out so they don’t show up without knowing what to expect at an audition.”

Junior Ken Brooks acknowledged the benefit of an event like Guitar Day, even though it had not yet been created in his first year at OU. Brooks suggests that working with Hoag has helped him and could aid others in their musical pursuits as well.

“It’s definitely helpful for students coming in,” Brooks said. “I’m glad I met with Hoag, personally. If I had just auditioned, it would have been a nightmare. He helped me set goals and learn what to expect. When I’m ready (to audition), I can go for it.”

Brooks serves as president of the guitar club, the Real Guitar Heroes at Oakland University. Through the club, students meet weekly in Varner Hall, practicing with others and experimenting with new sounds.

Brooks expressed hope that the club, like Guitar Day, will also heighten the interest in music across campus. Within the next year, he plans to expand club activities and get more students involved.

“The club is made up of various skill levels — anyone is welcome,” Brooks said. “We work on being comfortable playing. I’d actually like to get something together where we can play in the OC. Playing in front of people builds confidence, but it gets them involved too, and that’s really important.”

Through efforts from students like Brooks and faculty members like Hoag, the appeal of guitar and related university programs continues to grow. Hoag is optimistic that the inaugural Guitar Day will evolve into an annual event.

“Guitar Day is a brand new thing at OU, but I want it to continue and to be a bigger event next year,” Hoag said. “I’d like to see it grow and become something more.”

According to both student and professor, the key to that growth is student interest and involvement.

“Music is great, and we want to get more people into music,” Brooks said. “It’s something that I really love. I want the club to keep growing because I want to give that to other people.”