Longboarding gains speed WITH VIDEO

Video by SARAH WOJCIK/The Oakland Post

Several different methods of transportation have evolved over the decades, but few have developed a loyal group of followers like the growing trend on campus: longboarding.

Although longboarding is a new sight on campus, the sport has an extensive history.

Longboards evolved from shorter-deck skateboards,  and were used initially for surfers in Hawaii to imitate the motion of waves while on dry land.

Skaters would crouch on the board and run their hand, sheathed by a ‘slide glove,’ along the ground to emulate touching a wave. This technique is seen today by recreational and professional skaters who perform tricks by touching the ground on either side of the board.

Many students on Oakland’s campus have taken the sport farther than a pastime and used their equipment to alleviate the stress of parking close to their classes.

“I purposely park far away to have an excuse to longboard to class,” Ethan Paschall, a psychology major and art history minor, said. “I think grabbing a spot far away and longboarding is faster than people who drive around to find a spot.”

Paschall said he longboards to all of his classes on campus.

Paschall, who picked up the art of longboarding this year, said he wanted to skate but wasn’t interested in doing the tricks skateboarders are known for. He said he enjoys cruising around and gaining speed — something harder to obtain on a skateboard.

“I thought (the boards) were sweet, so I bought one and now I love it,” Paschall said.

Paschall joins a group of friends who participate in group longboarding sessions around campus, including undecided freshman Rachael Mannix and O2O student Collin Wheeler. Although they are not an official organization on campus yet, each member expressed interest in becoming known campus-wide.

Jesse Mannix, an environmental science and ecology major, is also a familiar face during the group skates, organized via a Facebook group called Oakland University Longboarding.

Mannix’s specific board has been owned and rode by two professional longboarders and features carbon-infused wood, which allows for deck flexibility while guaranteeing the board will not break.

Mannix has covered the eight-mile trip around Mackinac Island on her longboard and said she enjoys traveling long distances. Mannix noted that she avoids skating through large crowds, since stopping is an endeavor, especially when travelling at fast speeds.

Mannix commented that boards tend to ride better after they have been “broken in,” which gives reason to why many dedicated riders attempt to purchase boards that have been used before. Her board also features an exclusive graphic.

Many of the students who ride on campus still use the first board they purchased. Even though some boards are flexible, all styles feature noticible longevity.

“They last a long time,” Mannix said. “It’s really just depends when you get sick of it and want to buy a new one.”

Solo riders like Fadi Sallan, a mechanical engineering major, picked up longboarding without any history of skateboarding and said he enjoys downhill skating in scarcely populated areas.

Sallan, who owns an Arbor Pintail, said that he has about a year of experience but prefers to ride at night due to lack of traffic. He has traveled the entire distance around Stoney Creek and long distances through Ann Arbor.

Sallan said that he knows about the group on campus but has not had time to join them for a session yet.

“I’m really glad to see so many people getting into it,” Sallan said. “Group rides are always more fun.”

Although admitting he has become passionate about the sport over the past year, Sallan discourages using a longboard to get around campus.

“Carrying a heavy backpack and worrying about pedestrians can be hazardous and will slow you down,” Sallan said. “Unless you are experienced, your ability to stop is greatly hindered. It’s sort of a hassle carrying (the board) around indoors and through crowds.”

He also said that beginner skaters should be prepared to fall. Sallan said he has fallen several times around campus and is thankful to not have been injured.

Many of the participants of the group skate wear protective gear, including helmets, in anticipation they might fall. Major injuries are common among pursuers of the sport, so even experienced riders are rarely seen without gear.

The OU longboarding group suggests beginners frequent www.silverfishlongboarding.com, where they can find tips on picking up the board as well as interact with more experienced riders via its forums.

For more information on joining group rides on campus, search for ‘Oakland University Longboarding’ on Facebook.