Registration begins for fall, winter semesters

As the winter 2012 semester comes to a close, finals aren’t the only challenge students will face. Students returning for summer, fall and winter 2013 classes are also tasked with registering for classes.

Matt Prentice, an academic adviser for the College of Arts and Sciences, suggests that students begin mapping out their classes as soon as class schedules are released online.

“Students should take advantage of full year registration and register for summer, fall and winter courses as soon as registration opens in March,” Prentice said. “Students may want (to) start thinking about the next year of classes late in the fall semester or early in the winter semester.”

To access the schedule, students can log on to their SAIL account and click on “Register for Classes.” From there, they can look up, add and drop classes.

Adam McChesney, an academic adviser for the School of Business Administration, said many students do not understand they are fully responsible for taking care of their own schedule. Advisers are only there to guide students and remind them of the requirements that must be met to graduate.

“My advice for students would be to verify your schedule on SAIL the night before you register,” McChesney said. “Make sure your courses still have openings for you to register and be prepared to have a backup plan just in case the courses you want are already filled up … Take advantage of walk-in advising, group advising or one-on-one advising sessions to prepare for registration.”

Students are advised to register for classes as soon as it corresponds with their credit level.