Welcome Week wrap-up

Oakland University showcases diverse student organizations to newcomers

Welcome Week, the annual celebration to kick off the fall semester, continues until September 13.

This traditional week is used to unite the campus, showcase student organizations and can also be used as a way for new students to familiarize themselves with their new campus.

“I’ve attended a couple of the welcome week events and I think it’s great, I’ve met a lot of people and got a lot of numbers so I have people to invite places,” Laura Smith, freshmen, said.

The First Friday

“The first Friday night is a huge traditional event with the Jumping Jamboree and the Sigma Pi Fraternity pig roast, Jean Ann Miller, Director, Center for Student Activities and Leadership Development said.

This year marked the 19th Sigma Pi roast. The pig roast allows students to mingle and enjoy free food provided by J&M Farm, located in Allenton Michigan.

“The Center for Student Activities (CSA) really helped us and worked with us a lot,” James Sklar, senior, said. “The Student Activities Funding Board (SAFB), funding was really negotiable. There’s a lot of people and long lines, so I hope this continues all night.

At 8 p.m. students were invited to go to the Auburn Hills Civic Center Park for a chance to see the Club Sports and Recreation black and gold football scrimmage, rugby and Vitality Dance.

Other Events

In the final days of this traditional week there are several events for students to continue to enjoy.

On Monday, Sept. 9, students are invited to party with The Post on the north side of the Oakland Center from noon to 2 p.m.  The same day will also be the Oakland University Student Congress first general body meeting.

Grizz Fest will be on Tuesday, Sept. 10, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“Grizz Fest is a great collaboration of student organizations and club sports,” Miller said. “All we need is perfect weather.”

If the weather is permissible the Grizz Fest will be in The Mall in front of Kresge Library. If it rains, the event will be moved to the Banquet Rooms in the Oakland Center (OC).

The Student Veterans and CSA will be holding a remembrance honoring the first responders of 9/11 on Wednesday, Sept. 11 at 8:46 a.m. between North and South Foundation.

The Last Friday

The final Friday, Sept. 13, will kick off Hispanic Celebration Month with an opening ceremony from noon to 1 p.m. at the Fireside Lounge in the OC.

Residence Halls Programming will feature Sailesh, a hypnotist, at 6 p.m. in Vandenberg Dining Center.

The final event of Welcome Week will be The Merge Experience. It will be from 10 p.m. to midnight in 201 Dodge Hall. Students should wear all black.