Sustaining Tradition: OU to Celebrate Weekend of Champions

Formerly known as the Week of Champions, Oakland prepares to celebrate the Weekend of Champions (WOCOU) this coming Friday and Saturday, October 4-5.

Instead of events being spread out across an entire week, this Weekend of Champions is more condensed. 

“I think this will allow students to get more excited and have more options of things to do on the weekend,” said former Student Body President Samantha Wolf.

Spending her summer as an intern for the Center for Student Activities, Wolf and two other interns were chosen to work with WOCOU. Coupling Friday’s “The Madnezz” with the new addition of Family Day, Wolf eagerly anticipates the weekend’s events.

“I’m excited to see families and alumni react to what OU has to offer,” Wolf said. “Most parents don’t come onto campus and this weekend really gives them the chance to see all the great things that their children are involved in.”

The Opening Lineup

The OUSC Tailgate Party & Matilda Wilson’s 130th Birthday Bash will be on Friday night from 6-9 p.m. in P-17. Music will be provided by Oakland’s own radio station, WXOU 88.3 FM, and the party includes cake, freebies, ice cream and a grand prize drawing.

During te party, the Residence Halls Association’s “Friday Night Live” will  run from 7-8 p.m. in the Vandenberg Dining Center and it will feature comedian Melissa Villasenor.

With the grand re-opening of the OU Aquatic Center’s pool, “The Madnezz” of this year will be centered on swimming and diving instead of basketball.

“We’re recognizing all athletic teams and the athletic program, but this year, by the way of the timing, both volleyball and swimming have events on that night,” said Jean Ann Miller, Director of the Center for Student Activities. “It’s the most athletic events we’ve ever had – really well-timed.”

Family Day

On Family Day, Tony Lucca from NBC’s “The Voice” will be performing in the Pioneer Food Court from 1:30-2:15 p.m. with a meet and greet that runs until 3. Lucca will also be on campus for “OU’s Got Talent” in the Banquet Rooms from 7-10 p.m., where he will serve as a guest judge for the 16 people chosen to compete.

Also on the agenda for Family Day, The Detroit Soul Men (a tribute to the Blues Brothers) will be serving as tour guides for a “Construction” tour of OU-highlighting locations like the new dormitories, bell tower, parking structure and engineering center.  The tours begin in P1 and start at 2 p.m., occurring every half hour until 4 p.m.

With WOCOU on the horizon, Miller positively commented on the tradition that surrounds it.

“I’m really happy to continue this,” Miller said. “Students have embraced it. They fought hard for it, and I’m really happy that they have been able to sustain it.”

For more information on WOCOU’s events, call the Center for Student Activities at (248) 370-2400 or visit their page at oakland.edu/csa

WOCOU’s sports events include:

Friday, Oct. 4

• Women’s Volleyball vs. Youngstown: 4-6 p.m. at the O’Rena.

• “The Madnezz” at the Men’s and Women’s Swimming & Diving Black and Gold Meet: 9-1030 p.m. at the OU Aquatic Center.

Saturday, Oct. 5

• Women’s Softball: Black and Gold Game 11 a.m. and Alumni Game 1-3 p.m. at the OU Softball Field.

• Men’s & Women’s Swimming and Diving-Alumni Meet: 3-4:30 p.m. at the OU Aquatic Center

• Women’s Volleyball vs. Cleveland State: 4-6 p.m. at the O’Rena

• OU Football Club vs. Columbus State Community College: 4-6 p.m. at the Auburn Hills Civic Center Park

• OU Rugby Club vs. Saginaw Valley 8-9:30 p.m. at the Auburn Hills Civic Center Park

• Men’s Soccer vs. University of Detroit Mercy: 7-9 p.m. at the OU Soccer Field

Also on the agenda for Family Day, The Detroit Soul Men (a tribute to the Blues Brothers) will be serving as tour guides for a “Construction” tour of OU-highlighting locations like the new dormitories, bell tower, parking structure and engineering center.  The tours begin in P1 and start at 2 p.m., occurring every half hour until 4 p.m.