OU’s Honors college, student organizations host Nightmare on Bear Lake

The Honors College collaborated with several student organizations to celebrate the Halloween season.

The student organizations involved were Student Congress, Student Program Board and Multicultural Affairs.

Oakland University Student Congress presented “A Nightmare on Bear Lake,” a haunted house for students to walk through before entering the Halloween Bash in the Oakland Gold Rooms Oct. 28.

“The haunted house was probably my favorite part,” James Birmingham, freshmen, said.

Birmingham heard about the party through the flyers posted in his dorm lounge.

After getting a few screams, students could bob for apples, eat, color pumpkins, dance to music and participate in a doughnut-hanging-from-strings eating contest. 

Liz Lawer, president of the Honors College, Kaitlin McNeal and Lisa Shammas, members of the Honors College dressed the part as they replaced doughnuts on strings for the contest.

“I’ve always wanted to be a flapper,” Shammas said. “I think the Great Gatsby really inspired my look this year.”

Creative costumes

Some students got into the Halloween spirit and showed up in group costumes. Clue was one of the group costumes. Miranda Pelkey, sophomore came up with the idea of the group costume.

“We love the movie ‘Clue’ during Halloween time,” Rachel Voight, junior said.

Another group came dressed as minions inspired from the movie, “Despicable Me.” The whole costume was completely homemade—even the knitted hats. Freshman Aleena Hajek created the concept.

Student Program Board

The Student Program Board also had a table there to provide students with information about who they are, and upcoming events.

“SPB is one of the largest directly funded organizations on campus,” Brittany Hall, annual events director of SPB said. “We do a lot of different events at no, or little cost to students. We give away free prizes, too. We have trips we just went to Montreal.”

They were also informing students of upcoming events they are having including the International Circus Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. and a live band karaoke  Nov. 18 at 8 p.m. Both events are in the banquet rooms of the Oakland Center.

“We have live band karaoke coming up so you can literally sing to a live band playing behind you,” Hall said. “They know (more than) 250 songs.”

SPB will be setting up a bar atmosphere complete with a bar menu. Food will be served by committee members of the SPB.

Contact Staff Reporter Kailee Mathias via email at [email protected]