Events Preview: Oct 24-29

Wednesday, Oct. 23

Career Development Workshop

The Career Development Workshop scheduled from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. At the workshop students will get the opportunity to: learn valuable skills for their interested career, receive employment data from career opportunities in southeastern Michigan, get insights from professionals in their field, get expert guidance on creating a career plan and explore bachelor degree programs. RSVP at http://www.oakland.edu/macomb. The address of the workshop is Oakland University’s Anton/Frankel Center, 20 South Main St., Mount Clemens, MI  48043.

GSC – 2nd Annual Gender & Sexuality Center Bra Show

The Gender and Sexuality Club is having their second annual bra show in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The funds raised to provide women free mammograms. The theme of this year is “Around the World.” The bra show will feature bras decorated by members of Oakland University’s community. At the show students will get a chance to vote on their favorite bras, maybe even take one home. The event is set for 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Fireside Lounge.

Thursday, Oct. 24

Society of Automotive Analysts: Economic Outlook Discussion and Networking

The Society of Automotive Analysts outlook discussion and networking will feature Martin Lavelle,senior research associate, Chicago Federal Reserve Bank (Detroit Branch)  and Dr. Janell Townsend, associate professor, marketing and international business, Oakland University’s School of Business Administration. Lavelle will share his outlook on the automotive industry. Townsend will share his views on economics and the position of product design and industry market. Tickets are $15. Students are recommended to bring business cards. The event will be held at Emagine Star Lanes, 200 North Main Street, Royal Oak Mi.

Friday, Oct. 25

Inspiration Award Nomination Deadline

If you have been inspired by an Oakland professor or mentor submit your applications by Friday, Oct. 25 to [email protected]. In order to submit the person explain in 200 words or less how the selected person has inspired you. Just by nominating the individual you and the faculty member chosen will be invited to a reception Thursday, Nov. 21 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. At the banquet nominated staff will be recognized and the most inspirational essays will receive awards. For any questions contact Karen Conn at [email protected].

Saturday, Oct. 26

Make a Difference Day 2013

Meet in the Fireside Lounge at 8 a.m. in the Oakland Center. Students can carpool to sites. Bring your car and your friends and join in the 23rd all-day service event. All students must individually register even if students have a desired group. There will be a box for students to put the group they are in. GrizzOrgs will do their best to accommodate with students’ needs. Be specific about the type of service you would like to participate in. If students are disabled and in need of specific accommodations e-mail [email protected]. Students’ advised to bring gloves, in case they are necessary, warm clothes that can get dirty and a water bottle. Lunch is included.

Monday, Oct. 28

A Nightmare on Bear Lake

Join Oakland University Student Congress, Student Program Board, International Allies Organization and Honors College for a night packed with Halloween festivities. There will be a haunted house located outside between the Oakland Center and Bear Lake. If there is rain the event will be moved to the Oakland Rec. Center. The doors to the haunted house will open at 7 p.m. After walking through the haunted house students can go to the Gold Rooms for free snacks, games and the chance to win a prize.