Students share their favorite Christmas songs

Halloween has come and gone and Thanksgiving is in the rearview mirror, which can only mean one thing. As voiced in “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” — “Christmas present is here today, bringing joy that will last.” 

The joys the song is referring to, of course, are the many aspects of Christmas that help it earn the title of “the most wonderful time of the year.” It grants people the ability to reconnect with family, and it’s the perfect time to revisit holiday movies. It is also filled with music that people have known the words to since childhood.

Whether they are recent picks or lifelong favorites, everyone has a Christmas song that is near and dear to their heart. Oakland University students share their favorite ones below.

Last Christmas” — Jon Karn, Senior

“I like ‘Last Christmas.’ I don’t know why, but it probably has something to do with the fact that I heard it a lot as a kid, and for me — Christmas is a very nostalgic sort of thing. Whenever we would open presents on Christmas day, usually my parents would have Christmas radio playing.” 

Jingle Bell Rock” — Libby Gentile, Junior

“I’d have to say [my favorite is] ‘Jingle Bell Rock’ — it’s just so nostalgic. I get memories of putting a Christmas tree up when I was younger, and it just sounds so classic.

“[My family and I] used to drive through the Hines Park light show, and I always remember that song playing, going through the tunnel and seeing all of the lights.”

8 Days of Christmas” — Sydnie Orange, Freshman

“[My favorite is] ‘8 Days of Christmas’ by Destiny’s Child, because it’s a little different. It’s a little more modern and upbeat — it’s not so slow, and [it doesn’t] make me want to go to sleep.

“[My favorite memory is] me and my sister being up at three o’clock in the morning waiting for the presents to go underneath the tree, and we’re just listening to that song.”

Santa Tell Me” — Emma Davis, Sophomore

“I feel like [my favorite is] ‘Santa Tell Me’. It’s kind of recent. I like Ariana Grande — I just remember playing the video on YouTube a lot with my siblings and being excited for Christmas.” 

You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch” — Joshua Banister, Senior

“[My favorite is] probably ‘You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch,’ just because I heard it so much growing up. [My favorite memory is] probably just watching the movie with my family when I was younger.” 

A Song and a Christmas Tree (The Twelve Days of Christmas)” — Beckie Swartz, Freshman

“I’m gonna go with a really weird choice: ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas’ by Andy Williams. The reason why [it’s my favorite] would be my father — he likes Andy Williams and basically all of the older songs, so it’s his fault. One year we made a video acting out ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas.’”

All I Want For Christmas Is You” — Amber Haioa, Senior

“I’m gonna go with ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ by Mariah Carey. I just feel like it always gets people in the mood.

“[My favorite memory is] just screaming it in the car with my friends right around the beginning of the holiday season.”

Last Christmas” — Mary Kent, Junior

“I would say my favorite is ‘Last Christmas.’ I don’t know who originally sang it, but I always like all of the covers — definitely the Taylor Swift version, because I love Taylor Swift.

“[My favorite memory is] hearing that [version] for the first time when I was younger.”