OU extends online instruction for start of the winter semester

Noora Neiroukh

The winter semester is set to begin with all online instruction for the majority of OU students.

In an OU Communication email from Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Britt Rios-Ellis and Senior Vice President for Student Affairs and Chief Diversity Officer Glenn McIntosh sent to members of the campus community this afternoon, the university has announced a two week extension of the online instruction period. 

The initial date set for a return to in-person instruction, Jan. 18, has now been pushed back to Jan. 31. The following is the announcement as it appeared in the email:

Due to the rapid spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant, OU will continue to deliver most Winter 2022 courses, including hybrid and in-person classes, in an remote and online format through Monday, January 31. We are hopeful that by waiting until February 1, we will be able to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and return to face-to-face classes more seamlessly.

During this period, the university, Kresge Library, Oakland Center and university auxiliaries, will remain open to provide in-person services and activities as scheduled unless otherwise posted. We advise the OU community to be vigilant in proactively following the university’s established infection prevention measures, and ask that employees continue to work with their supervisors regarding the feasibility of remote work.

All campus community members are strongly encouraged to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, to receive booster shots as soon as they are eligible, and to upload vaccination verification – including booster shot records – to Graham Health Center’s Secure Patient Portal. COVID-19 testing is also highly recommended regardless of vaccination status as a means of both monitoring and minimizing community spread. Ongoing testing is available in the Oakland Center and is free of charge.

Please rest assured that we will continue to make data-informed decisions to protect the OU community. We are grateful to all students, faculty and staff for your continuing cooperation in keeping the OU community in good health.”