OU is about to get “Fancy” and “Rude”

Two of music’s hottest artists, Iggy Azalea and MAGIC!, will be heading to Meadowbrook Music Festival on Friday, September 12, just nine days after the fall 2014 semester begins.

The two new artists, who have been having remarkable success this year, will be featured in the Oakland University Student Program Board’s annual concert, which was moved to fall after the spring showing with Jason Derulo was cancelled due to scheduling conflicts.

Iggy Azalea has stormed onto the music scene with some of 2014’s biggest tracks, including “Fancy” and her being featured in Ariana Grande’s “Problem.” With those two hit singles, Iggy Azalea matched The Beatles’ record of having her first two appearances on the Billboard Top 100 debut at numbers one and two in the same week.

New Canadian band, MAGIC!, has also had huge success in 2014 as its hit song “Rude” climbed all the way up to number two on the Billboard Hot 100. The band’s first album, “Don’t Kill the Magic,” was released on July 1 and debuted at number six on the Billboard 200 chart.

Thanks to the SPB, Oakland University students are able to get their tickets at a much lower ticket price. OU students can bring a valid student ID to the CSA service window located in the basement of the Oakland Center and purchase lawn tickets for $10, pavilion tickets for $15, and pit tickets for $25. Students have to hurry as there are less than 2,000 tickets available.

OU students are also able to win tickets through various contests that the SPB will be running leading up to the concert. Students can find out about the contests at facebook.com/spbOU, the organization’s Facebook page.

One of the first students to win tickets was senior Justin Blankenship. Blankenship said he is a big Iggy Azalea fan and heard about the contest through people sharing the link on Facebook. He said this isn’t his first time being involved with an SPB event, however.      

“My first year at OU I went on the Boston trip with SPB and it was one of the best trips I’ve ever been on,” Blankenship said.

The OU SPB gives students the opportunity to experience high-quality and diverse programs for the Oakland University community, according to the organization’s website.

“Our main focus in SPB is to enhance student life outside the classroom,” said Student Program Board Chair Rylin Ploe. “Whether that is through a trip or an event, we just want students to learn and experience things they couldn’t behind a desk.”

There will also be an SPB Open House on Friday, September 5 from noon to 2 p.m., where students can learn all about this year’s Welcome Week along with upcoming SPB fall events.

For any questions or comments, contact the SPB at [email protected] or call 248.370.4295.