Let’s get physical

The Department of Campus Recreation offers students and recreation members a weekly schedule of group exercise classes and a variety of mind and body fitness classes for physical activity, stress management and social interaction.

Oakland University students are able to get their much-needed exercise as the recreation center offers plenty of group exercise classes to get fit.

The wide variety of classes and the different class formats are meant to challenge a student’s fitness enthusiasm at any level. The group exercise schedule also provides a wide variety of cardiovascular, strength and flexibility workouts for students.

There is a wide range of different courses that students can choose from including kick boxing, cycling, strength circuits and belly dancing. There are multiple dates and times for each of the classes so they can easily fit into a student’s schedule.

One of the classes that have seen popularity recently is Zumba. The unique aerobic fitness program features movements that were inspired by various styles of Latin America dance and is meant for an intense cardio workout.

“I’ve been doing it for the last two months,” said Vrenda Pruthi, an OU student enrolled in the Zumba class. “It’s superb. Time flies by, and you have a lot of fun while you exercise.”

While most of the classes are free, students and all paying members of the Recreation Center must purchase a FitPass if they want to take a mind/body class. The vary in price depending on how long students want the passes for.

Yoga and Pilates classes are classified under mind/body and there are various levels of classes for students to choose from. Level one courses are for students who are just getting started and want some experience while level three courses are for the more experience and advanced students.

“It makes you really limber and flexible,” graduate student Trish Stocco, said. “And if you eat clean, you’ll start to see a difference.”

Students can find more information, including a complete schedule for all of the different classes at oakland.edu/campusrec/group-exercise.