Hump Days in Fireside Lounge a huge success

Fiesta Hump Day served traditional Hispanic cuisine including beef or chicken tacos, Mexican rice, enchiladas and mock margaritas and sangria.

When the middle of a school week hits, many students are ready for it to be over. Having the same routine everyday gets old.

The Student Program Board at Oakland University has come up with a plan to decrease student boredom throughout the week. Students may have noticed the celebrations taking place in the fireside lounge every other Wednesday. These parties, filled with food and activities, are known as “hump days.”

“The purpose of these events is to be a pop-up event every other Wednesday, and a pick-me-up for students to get through the rest of the week,” said Arkeem Scott, annual events director of the Student Program Board.

Wednesday, Oct. 8, was recognized as Fiesta Hump Day.

“October is Hispanic celebration month, so we decided to have a fiesta,” said Kristiana Hira, committee member of the Student Program Board. “The last hump day we did was concert-themed.”

There have been several themes besides Fiesta Hump Day. Each theme is different from the last, past events include a 90s hump day, a walking circus theme, concert hump days and a love and an anti-love hump day.

“I haven’t been to a previous hump day, but I would definitely come to another one if there’s free food,” sophomore Chris Spencer said.

The loud music and smell of food seems to be what catches students’ eyes most as they pass through the Oakland Center. Each hump day there have been around 200-300 visitors, making the events a huge success.

“I stopped by the fiesta because I wanted to know what the event was,” senior Britney Ama said. “I would definitely go to another hump day.”

At last week’s Fiesta Hump Day, students stuffed their faces from tables filled with tacos, chips and salsa, Spanish rice and guacamole. There were even non-alcoholic margaritas.

As the Macarena blared in Fireside Lounge, students could also get their faces painted as like a sugar skull. To set the theme, maracas and mustache bracelets were offered as well.

“I think what makes hump days successful is that it is something people are always talking about and anticipating what we are going to do next, but at the same time, it is something that hasn’t been done before on campus,” Scott said.

With their quick success, the upcoming hump days will continue to bring fun to the OC, as students look forward to new themes each week.