OU MTD seniors take the show on the road

On Thursday, Feb. 19, a senior showcase, directed by Love, featuring musical direction by Alissa Hetzner, made its debut. The “Meadow Brook Estate Senior Showcase” highlights the talents of 11 Oakland University BFA musical theatre and theatre majors in a 26-minute program featuring songs, dances and scenes.  

In three words, Stacey Fleming describes life as a musical theatre student as “hectic, fun and rewarding.”

Fleming realized she wanted a future in theater after moving from West Bloomfield to Las Vegas, Nevada in 2009.

Two years later, Fleming started her freshman year at Colombia College in Chicago. One year later, she transferred to Oakland University to major in musical theatre.

Although theatre became the main role in her life when she moved to Vegas, Fleming was no stranger to the stage. She started off as a competitive dancer.

“’Cats: The Musical’ is my inspiration,” Fleming said. “I first saw it when I was seven years old and it changed my life. “

To prepare for a show, Fleming begins with vocal and physical warm-ups.

“I also have a fear of forgetting my lines so I repeat them over and over again,” she said.

Planning to move to New York after graduation in April, Fleming said she will miss her family (the musical theatre department) – not to mention being able to go to Starbucks without leaving the comforts of Varner Hall.

She said she plans to perform as long as physically possible with the hopes of one day owning her own dance/music studio.

Performing with Love

“Fred Love is awesome. He helps to bring out the best in you and he’s definitely honest when he needs to be,” Fleming said, speaking about the head of the OU musical theatre program.

Love, who has been the department head for 11 years, has had students appear on Broadway, in national tours and in many regional troupes.

Love has performed in over 90 leading roles in opera, operetta and musical theatre. He heads the music theatre/ voice division at OU, and he taught voice in the musical theatre program at Sheridan College in Ontario.

Love first started working with Fleming when he cast her as IIse in “Spring Awakening” in Fall 2012. Recently she was cast as Frenchie in “The Life.”

“Stacey Fleming is a joy to work with,” he said. “She is a director’s dream, a terrific collaborator, an amazing choreographer and shines in every facet of the theatre arts.”

Showcasing senior skills

The purpose of the senior showcase is to support the building of new careers.

“Showcase programs give graduating students from all disciplines an opportunity to meet agents, casting directors, producers and other established working professionals,” Love said. 

“Watch out New York, here I am,” said fellow senior Jaclène Wilk in her performance of  “I’m Your Man” by Eddie Sugarman and Andrew Gerle.

After test-driving the showcase here at OU, they will be hitting the road to the Davenport Theatre in New York.

“We are definitely ready for New York,” Love said. Oakland University’s theatre department has been producing a showcase in New York for the past eight years, while also sharing resources in a joint showcase with Western Michigan University.

The performance was on Monday, March 2, 2015 with two showings – one at 3:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. 

Fleming says she is very nervous, but she is also very prepared for the showcase in New York. It’s the exact same show that premiered tonight, just in a different state. It’s in a small theater, but the crowd will be filled with agents, casting directors and Broadway stars.

Opportunities like this are great for networking, as well as learning. Students obtain jobs and are exposed to some of the most successful professionals in the industry.

“The senior class is a great group of people,” Fleming said. Each senior picked his or her own pieces with input from their fellow classmates, which makes the showcase very diverse.

“The students help to create the musical arrangements, supply the choreography and staging, and they have input in every aspect of the production,” Love said.

Fleming said she is glad to be apart of such a supportive group of people.  

If you missed the Senior Showcase, there are more events being performed by the Music, Theatre & Dance Department.