Fusing Jazz with the sounds of India

Genre fusion and cross-pollination of styles is always a gamble. The experimentations do not always work, but when they do, they’ve resulted in some of the most interesting and endearing moments in music.

Oakland University’s jazz program sets out to explore a similar approach, combining Indian music and jazz at a workshop that will bring together musicians of all ages and talents on June 13 and 14.

“Anyone with an interest in jazz and/or world music can sign up,” said Miles Brown, assistant professor of music and jazz program coordinator,  “We’ve had people attend of all ability levels.  They just need to have a passion for playing music.”

Participants will take classes starting at 9 a.m. on both days. The first day, classes will end at 4 p.m. and the participants will put on a concert showcasing what they’ve learned at the end of the second day. The concert is open to the public.

Classes include, among others, jazz composition and jam session etiquette, which entails participants to learn acceptable behavior for watching and participating in jazz combos, or small groups of musicians. Participants will also get a lesson on Carnatic, or southern Indian music from Mark Stone, associate professor and an expert on music from all over the world.

“He’s the most versatile musician I’ve ever met,” Brown said.

Stone and Brown aren’t the only ones teaching. Applied instructor and jazz percussionist Sean Dobbins, lecturer, applied instructor and jazz pianist Scott Gwinnell, and jazz violinist and OU’s artist in residence, Regina Carter, will also plant musical seeds.

“There’s no way to become a master in a weekend, but hopefully given the combo clinics, the jam session ‘etiquette’ clinic, Mark Stone’s Indian music clinic, and the experience working with Regina, the students will end the weekend with one or two steps further in their musical advancement,” Brown said in an email.

As artist-in-residence, Carter works with OU and the surrounding community twice a year. She plays alongside student musicians, teaches music theory and listening classes, and talks about the business side of the music world.

In between her two visits, Carter tours with her band called “Southern Comfort,” which plays music from the 1800s Appalachian Mountains. She also works at other workshops and camps.

The mixed ages and skill levels of the participants in the summer workshop is beneficial to everyone, Carter said.

“It’s just a chance for them to come and be in a nonthreatening environment,” she said. “And with each other, we all learn” – including the instructors.  

She also says the Indian music will be fun because the participants will have a chance to play instruments they likely haven’t seen before.

“Everyone’s new to it,” Carter said.

Participants have included high school students and retirees in past years.

“This workshop gives future college students a chance to see what working with OU’s faculty is like, as all of the clinicians are also the jazz faculty here at OU,” Brown said.

Carter decided to be a jazz violinist in high school after hearing some recordings. The violin isn’t often associated with jazz, but there are many jazz violinists, Carter said.

“I was really just bowled over by the music and freedom and just by the ability to improvise,” she said.

The instructors hope students learn about and increase their passion for jazz.

“If you don’t love it, you’re not going to do it,” Carter said.

For more information on the event, visit The Department of Music, Theatre and Dance’s website at www.oakland.edu/mtd.