What to do before you apply for housing

With returner housing contracts beginning at midnight March 1, you might be debating whether or not to come back to Oakland University Housing for another semester.

Below is a list of some things to keep in mind before submitting your housing contract for next year.

  • Fitzgerald will remain open for upperclassmen. The other two small halls, Hill and Van Wagoner, will become freshman dorms starting in the fall.
  • Vandenberg Hall will be exclusively for upperclassmen.
  • Returning students can now apply to live in the previously freshman-exclusive suites in Oak View Hall.
  • Vandenberg dining hall will be going under renovations this summer so expect to see changes in the cafeteria set-up. In addition, a new allergen program will be put in action.
  • The Hamlin Printing Lab will be closing its doors after this semester. There is no word yet on if housing students will have unlimited free printing via the Wepa machines. All that’s known is that every university student will have $5 per semester to use on the machines.
  • You do not need your final decision on where to live submitted by Mar. 1 if you are still debating on a final roommate decision or on a final room choice. Those dates come later on.
  • You must be 20 and have junior-standing to live in the student apartments. This includes the George T. Matthews and the Ann V. Nicholson. These count as student housing so you still need to fill out the appropriate housing forms starting March 1.
  • Act fast! Housing fills up very quickly.