Opera Club raises funds for trip to NYC

On Feb. 17 at 7:30 p.m. the Opera Club will host a student showcase fundraiser in Varner Recital Hall.  

“Our fundraiser is a benefit performance to showcase the talents of the students in our organization and to raise money to cover things that our SAFB student org funds don’t cover such as transportation to performances and lodging in places like Chicago (2015) and NYC (2016),” Tim Brown, club president, said. “All funds come back to the Opera Club directly.” 

The showcase will feature club members performing opera arias and art songs.  Donations are accepted at the door as a means of admittance. 

The event will be catered from funds won by the student organization.  

This semester, the club will be heading to New York City from Feb. 22 to 25.  There they will attend a performance at the Metropolitan Opera House.  Beyond this, members will be able to attend another opera, Broadway show or other event.  They will also be able to take voice lessons with professors in NYC and experience different graduate programs.  

Funds raised at the showcase and efforts throughout the year will go towards purchasing airfare and lodging for those going to NYC.  Money from their SAFB account will go towards their tickets for the Met performance. 

The group feels that these travel experiences allow them to absorb and experience professionals within their interested field while benefitting the department. 

“The most rewarding part of being the president of Opera Club is helping students use OU’s resources to have the opportunity to see such captivating performances in Detroit, Chicago and NYC and to foster their love and appreciate for my passion, opera,” Brown said.  

For more information on the group, find them on Facebook and GrizzOrgs.