New housing marketing positions encourage creativity

If you are looking for a way to become involved with Oakland University Housing, but missed traditional position deadlines, you’re in luck.

After months of deliberation and development of job titles and descriptions, Oakland University Housing has made the decision to offer four new marketing specialist positions focused on the fields of creativity.

The new positions, which will comprise the Undergraduate Marketing Specialists team, are built to complement the summer team.

These individuals will also work during the fall and winter semesters to promote various housing and residential events for students on campus.

The housing department is focused on these internal efforts to make information about housing events easily accessible to residents as a method of increasing population and participation in on-campus activities.

University Housing is working to continue its long history of including residents in its marketing decisions with the addition of these new positions by including residents in brochures, posters and other marketing materials.

The descriptions are as follows:

Graphic Design Specialist:

Design departmental communication for digital signage, web and social media. Successful candidate will have experience of interest in graphic design and be moderately proficient in Adobe CS.

Videography Specialist:

Creating promotional videos for housing and capturing footage of departmental functions. Successful candidate will have experience or interest in learning videography and be moderately proficient in video editing software.

Social Media Specialist:

Managing an interactive social media presence by posting real-time content from attending housing events. Successful candidate will have experience of interest in social media management, blogging and be moderately proficient in using Hootsuite.

Photography Specialist:

Capturing photos of departmental functions and cooperate with the specialist of Social Media to post pictures. Successful candidate will have experience or interest in photography and be moderately proficient in Photoshop.

In order to apply for any of these positions, applicants must not have any experience working with University Housing.  They are not required to live on campus.

Candidates should expect to work 15 hours per week, be in good disciplinary standing with the university and possess an overall GPA of at least 2.75.

“We are so excited to offer these positions because they are unlike any University Housing position we have had in the past,” Garnett said. “These will open job opportunities for those who are interested in creative, artistic and communicative pursuits. With this, we are looking for individuals who possess qualities such as creativity, imagination, and talent in the areas of design, photography, videography, social media and writing.

Applicants should enjoy working in a collaborative, team atmosphere and be willing to attend university functions and events, according to Garnett.

For more information about how to apply for a position on the Undergraduate Marketing Specialists team, individuals may visit OU CareerLink or visit the University Housing website.

Applications will be accepted online until Friday, March 18. Any additional questions may be directed to Kelly Garnett at [email protected].