Alpha Phi Omega offers volunteer and social opportunities for students

It is almost spring and many students are beginning to venture outside again.

For those students looking to lend a helping hand, the Center for Student Activities and Leadership Development has plenty of volunteer opportunities.

With the volunteer program, students are encouraged to volunteer anywhere between 15 to over 100 hours. The program recognizes and awards OU students for all of their volunteer effort by placing them into a drawing to win prizes.

Memberships to the program are based off individual sign-ups though campus organizations are encouraged to sign up their members.

For those students who are looking to volunteer but may be worried to go out alone, there are many students organizations with opportunities available.

Alpha Phi Omega is a national service co-ed fraternity. It offers students a similar experience as social fraternities and sororities in which students build bonds amongst fellow members but mainly focuses on community service work.

Andres Morales, industrial and systems engineering major, is a member of Alpha Phi Omega.

“Alpha Phi Omega is continuing to grow on campus in the recent semesters,” Morales said.

Alpha Phi Omega prides themselves on three key components.  These are service, fellowship and leadership. The organization typically has one to two events per week.

Although membership numbers are not as large as social Greek organizations, vice president of service, Drake Dawson, is hopeful that during his term he will be able to boost numbers.

“Giving back to the community and to Oakland University is my passion,” Dawson said.

Tracy Maikrzek, Oakland University alumna, has continued her volunteer work long after graduation. She is currently the project manager lead for GP Sandy for General Motors.

“It is important to give back to the community you live in however you can,” Maikrzek said. “Volunteering is an excellent way to share your talents with those in need.  You never know who you will meet through acts of service.”

Volunteering helps develop leadership skills and teaches students the importance of working with others to accomplish a project.

“When you volunteer you are able to see, first hand, the power people have when coming together and working as a unit for something bigger than themselves,” Morales said.

Each semester, the organization holds a rush week for those who are interested in joining.

The week consists of events on and off campus that allow potential new members to meet current members and learn about the organization.

Anyone who expresses interest in the organization will be invited to a pinning ceremony in which they will pledge to the fraternity for the first half of the semester before becoming an initiated member.

Alpha Phi Omega has no specific charity it  works for, but instead does a variety of volunteering around Metro Detroit. These events include Volunteering in the Redford Theatre, the Greening of Detroit and Habitat for Humanity.

For more volunteer opportunities through CSA visit oakland.edu/csa/volunteer/. 

For those students looking for more information on Alpha Phi Omega visit alphazetaomicron.weebly.com.