Campus radio station celebrates 50 years on the air

WXOU, the soundtrack of Oakland University, will be celebrating its 50th year on the air on March 24.  

WXOU was created in 1966 and is a free-form station. They represent a wide variety of musical and entertainment tastes with their numerous shows on air.  

The station has won Michigan Association of Broadcaster’s Station of the Year award three years in a row.  

On Thursday, they will be hosting their annual Birthday Bash and this year it’s bigger than ever.  

The event will be held at The Crofoot in downtown Pontiac as a means to further the OU/Pontiac Initiative bringing the two communities closer together.  

“I’m most excited to celebrate in a different way,” Lauren Barthold, general manager of WXOU, said. “In years past, we have held the Bash in the Oakland Center Banquet Rooms.  Because this is such a big milestone, we wanted to have an even bigger party and I just can’t wait to see it all come together.”

Openers for the evening will be Flint Eastwood and George Morris and the Gypsy Chorus. The headliner for the Birthday Bash is Canadian indie group, Alvvays.  

Alvvays is also set to take the stage at Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival next month.  

Planning for this year’s Birthday Bash began back in early December before the holiday break.  Since then, the station has worked hard to ensure that this year’s event draws in students and public, and encourages a greater sense of community with Pontiac.  

WXOU worked closely with The Crofoot and the musicians to make this event a reality.  Student Program Board and Student Video Productions co-sponsored the Birthday Bash this year.  

In order to transport students to and from the event, the Bear Bus will begin shuttling people to the Crofoot and back at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday.  The bus will pick up students in the P2 parking lot next to the Oakland Center.  

Tickets are free to students and are available at the Center for Student Activities ticket window.  General public is encouraged to attend as well.  Tickets for non-students are $15 and can be purchased at The Crofoot box office.  

The event will begin at 7 p.m. Barthold encourages students and the community to come out for a fun night featuring great music while supporting the radio station.

“I hope we put on an event where students and community members can let loose and have fun,” Barthold said. “I also hope people see more of what WXOU has to offer. Many people think you have to go into radio to get involved – and that’s just not the case.”

Students studying in any field are welcome to apply for their own show and get involved with the soundtrack of Oakland University.  

For more information on WXOU visit their website wxou.org or find them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.  

Check out next week’s issue of the Oakland Post for coverage of WXOU’s 50th Birthday Bash and check it out the event yourself on March 24.