Susan Awbrey named Senior Assistant Provost

By Jesse Dunsmore

Senior Reporter

Dr. Susan Awbrey begins work this week in her new position as head of three major offices in the university. Awbrey, whose official title is now “Senior Associate Provost,” is newly in charge of the Office of Undergraduate Education, the Office of Graduate Study, and Office of the Registrar.

Awbrey was previously the Vice Provost of Undergraduate Education.

She said she was somewhat surprised by her new appointment, though the creation of the new position itself wasn’t surprising.

“I think it’s something that’s been working its way through for awhile,” she said.

Awbrey said the office of undergraduate education had many goals “parallel” with those of the office of graduate study, as both dealt with policies and courses.

Also, the undergraduate office “was already working closely with the registrar’s office.” For example, Awbrey said, while the registrar’s office puts together the online course catalogue, the undergraduate education office is responsible for the printed catalogue.

Though Awbrey’s role combines the leadership of the three departments, the departments themselves will stay separate.

She said she will report directly to Provost Virinder Moudgil.

Moudgil was unavailable for comment. An e-mail from the Provost’s office said the new position was “consistent with the expressed suggestions of faculty and staff.”

Awbrey has worked at Oakland for 17 years. Before joining the Office of Undergraduate Education, Awbrey worked in the Provost’s office for 11 years. Prior to that, she was chair of the Department of Human Resources Development.

She has taught and developed Masters and Doctorate programs at OU. In the past, she has worked at Michigan State University, University of Illinois College of Medicine, and University of Texas Medical Branch.