Phinding OU’s Mr. Right

By Nick Degel

Campus Editor

Outstanding Oakland University men who understand the importance of campus-wide involvement are needed to take part in one of the university’s most popular events. 

The Phi Sigma Sigma Sorority will present the “Mr. PhiSignificant Male Charm Pageant” Friday at 7:30 p.m., in 201 Dodge Hall.

The annual event has been voted the best on campus event six years in a row, and is always a big draw for OU students and faculty.

“It’s such a dynamic event; there’s really nothing else like it [on campus],” said Phi Sigma Sigma Vice President Jamie Boyce. “Every year we draw more people than we can fit in the room.”

Men participating in the pageant are judged in three rounds: spirit wear, formal wear and jungle wear, as this year’s theme is “Welcome to the Jungle.”

However, Mr. PhiSignificant will not be judged on looks alone. Each participant is asked to answer a series of questions upon signing up, and a question-and-answer round will play a major role in the outcome of the competition.

“We define ourselves as very involved on campus and we expect that our Mr. PhiSignficiant shares those same qualities,” Boyce said.

Participation in the event is not isolated to just Greek organizations, but to all male students, campus wide, who feel they have the qualities necessary to be Mr. PhiSignificant.

“Campus involvement is a big thing for us,” said the event chair Amy Maczko. “It’s important not just to have Greek involvement but to bring everyone on campus together for the event.”

Some students already in the running for the role of Mr. PhiSignificant include Jordan Twardy, Danny Beola and members of both the baseball and swim teams. There is even a chance that members of the basketball team could be involved.

Men hoping to participate in the event have until Thursday to fill out an application. You can claim one by emailing Mazcko at [email protected].

The event is accompanied by a bake sale from which proceeds will benefit the National Kidney Foundation, Phi Sigma Sigma’s national philanthropy.

To spice up this year’s event, Xpressiv B.T.Z. will perform at intermission.

“We’re always looking for ways to make [the event] more entertaining,” said junior communication major Jamie Wilson.

The event is judged by a distinguished panel, including: CSA director Jean Ann Miller, student president Rob Meyer, last year’s Mr. PhiSignificant Chris Cerrini and two former Phi Sigma presidents.

The pageant will conclude with a rose ceremony before choosing the 2008 winner.

“It’s supposed to be an entertaining event,” Boyce said. “We try not to make it just a beauty pageant or fashion show but rather a campus-wide, fun night.”