CSA director selected for ‘outstanding’ service

By Jesse Dunsmore

Senior Reporter

Jean Ann Miller, the director of the Center for Student Activities, said she felt “very humbled” after being selected for the 2007-2008 Phyllis Law Googasian Award for Outstanding Oakland Univer-sity Women.

Named for OU’s first female trustee, the award is presented annually to female administrators, faculty and staff “who have contributed to the advancement of women at Oakland University and beyond,” according to information on OU’s Web site.

But some people might not think she needs to feel too humble.

Miller was nominated for the award with a joint letter written by Vice President of Student Affairs Mary Beth Snyder and Provost Virinder Moudgil. In the letter, they wrote that Miller “epitomizes the philosophy of the award.”

In a phone interview, Snyder called Miller “an architect of student life.”

Miller oversees the CSA, the office responsible for facilitating activities and student organizations on campus.

“She takes time with every single student she meets to help them,” said Snyder. “If it’s a treasurer, she takes time to go over the books with them. If it’s a student who wants to set up a community service project, she’ll put them in touch with an agency.”

Students who spend their evenings in the OC may find Miller’s office light a familiar sight. While university offices officially close at 5 p.m. each day, Miller regularly stays several hours later.

“One of the reasons [I stay late],” said Miller, “is that a lot of student orgs spend a lot of time and energy to put programs on for the whole community. I feel very strongly that I want to make sure they know I recognize that.”

Jo Reger, director of women’s and gender studies, sits on the Googasian Award selection committee. Reger listed some of Miller’s contributions to women at OU.

Miller, a graduate of OU, is on the Women’s History Month committee. She helped to establish the Gender and Sexuality Center, and ensured it was staffed. She’s also involved in the Women’s Employee Resource Group, a group to assist female employees at OU.

“She’s just someone that’s really been involved with all students, but particularly female students,” said Reger. “She’s a person who’d be sorely missed if she ever were to leave Oakland.”

Miller answers quickly when asked why she stays so involved: It’s the students who make her want to do her job.

“It’s just a constant flow of students,” said Miller, “and you’re watching them mature from their first-year experience all the way through their senior year and beyond.”

Prior to beginning work at Oakland in 1983, Miller majored in psychology at OU.

Miller will be presented with the award April 31.