T-Pain concert at OU canceled

By PAUL GULLY

Managing Editor

Due to safety and security concerns on the part of Oakland University’s administration and police department, hip-hop artist T-Pain will not be permitted to perform on Oakland

University’s campus. He was scheduled to take part in a concert in April.

According to OUPD Chief Sam Lucido, “recent documented incidents” were cause for concern, though he did not cite specific incidents.

“I want to be really clear: It wasn’t the style of music, the genre, or the crowd that appreciates [this] kind of entertainment — we’re very open and free here at the university — our concern was the artist himself,” Lucido said. “He has caused problems and we looked at that and considered it might be a security concern here.”

There was also cause for concern, according to Dean of Students Glenn McIntosh, that OU’s Student Program Board was planning to promote the event outside of the university community and sell tickets to the general public, which violates OU’s Major Events Policy.

Following several campus altercations at past OU events, a task force, comprised of both students and non-students, was charged with drafting a policy to help ensure the safety of those in attendance at future OU events. According to McIntosh, the policy states that OU students are permitted to bring one guest to campus events.

A spokesperson from SPB did not return phone calls as of press time and did not comment on the issue.

In February, “T-Pain, accompanied by numerous members of his entourage and security, entered the crowd while Hamden police gathered around before pulling him off to the side,” while performing at a concert at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut, according to the university’s newspaper.

In April 2007, the 22-year-old artist, along with members of his entourage, was arrested in Florida following an altercation with police officers, according to reports. The hip-hop artist was accused of making obscene gestures at cops after his performance at Radio One’s Spring Fest Concert in Miami.

And in June 2007, “police issued an arrest warrant charging the rapper with a non-moving traffic violation and driving with a suspended license,” according to a EURweb.com report. Tallahassee Police Department spokesperson Kathy McGhin called the artist, born Faheem Najm, “a habitual offender. … This is his third charge.”

According to Lucido, OUPD does background checks of most high-profile campus guests to determine whether they pose any security concerns.

Upon discovering T-Pain’s background, Lucido and McIntosh met to discuss the issue. They then met with Student Program Board Director Tamara Kukuk.

“I think the whole group is disappointed and I understand that, and feel bad about it,” Lucido said. “But as police chief … it’s my duty and my responsibility to bring those concerns forward.”

According to Lucido and McIntosh, there was never a signed contract between the two parties.

“SPB, the police department, the Dean of Students office and the Center for Students Activity have pledged to work together on any type of major event to make sure we are taking the proper steps to ensure a high-quality, safe event for the campus community and our guests,” McIntosh said.