Students, faculty awarded for service at OU

By AMANDA SAOUD

Staff Intern

The 30th annual Student Activities and Leadership Awards were held in the Banquet Rooms of the Oakland Center on Thursday, April 10.

The awards are presented by the CSA office each year to recognize outstanding student and Greek organizations on campus, as well as to recognize individuals who have gone above and beyond in the past year to help their campus and community.

The most prestigious award that a campus organization can win is the Organization of the Year award, granted this year to two Greek organizations, Phi Sigma Sigma and Sigma Alpha Epsilon, and to student artist organization LaPittura.

Greek organizations were also honored for their academic records throughout the last year. The Sigma Gamma Rho, Alpha Delta Pi and Gamma Phi Beta sororities were all recognized for their scholarship achievements.

The new student organization of the year award was presented to the dance group Xpressiv B.T.Z, whose president, Angie Freeman, won an award for New Student Organization President of the Year.

“We’d also like to recognize those students who have given their time to improve life for others on campus and in their community by participating in our Volunteer Incentive or VIP program,” said Melissa Kindred, CSA staff intern.

Awards were given to 177 participants of the Volunteer Incentive Program, who completed a combined 1,900 hours of community service during the past year.

OU student employees Amanda Benjamin, Celson Belton and Geeta Katira, were awarded the Sidney Fink Memorial Award Scholarship, given to student employees who have demonstrated an on-going commitment to improve race relations on OU’s campus. 

Scholarships in the amount of $500 were also given to a number of students through the Volunteer Service Awards and the Commuter Involvement Awards which are given to students who exhibit extraordinary effort both on campus and in the surrounding community.

Individual students were also honored for their work with campus organizations. Amanda Rymiszewski, who was awarded both VIP and Greek of the Year awards, also won the Leadership in Community Service award for her work with Up ‘Til Dawn and other campus organizations with which she is involved.

Former Student Body President Rob Meyer won the award for Student Leader of the Year.

The Outstanding Student Employee of the Year award was given to Denise Jones for her work with the Student Technology Center, and former Student Body Vice President Jameelah Muhammed won the Leadership in Diversity Award. 

Jean Ann Miller, director of the Center for Student Activities, presented Dr. Virinder Moudgil, vice president for academic affairs and Provost, with the second annual Black and Gold award. This award is presented each year to the faculty or staff member who has gone above and beyond for the students of Oakland and the campus community as a whole.

“Dr. Moudgil is one of the most, if not the most, active supporter of student leaders, activities and organizations,” Miller said. “He represents the Oakland University community proudly in all that he does, and is a sincere ally of student affairs on this campus.”

The closing of the awards ceremony honored the hard work and dedication of Cressie Smith, assistant director of Student and Greek life, who will be leaving Oakland at the end of the year.

“Cressie has made invaluable contributions to the student organizations and the campus as a whole,” said Jean Szura, assistant director of Student Activities and Leadership Development. “She has done outstanding work for OU and she will be very missed.”

Here is a list of the award recipients

Greek Leader of the Year

Amanda Rymiszewski

Robbie Black

Leadership in Diversity

Jameelah Muhammad

Leadership in Community Service

Amanda Rymiszewski

Outstanding New Student Organization President

Angie Freeman

Outstanding Student Organization President

Ally Kelly

Honorable Mention: Jennifer Sutton

Honorable Mention: Amanda Johnson

Outstanding Student Employee

Denise Jones

Outstanding Officer

Danielle Fallis

Honorable Mention: Amanda Vanderford

Honorable Mention: Miranda Christen

Student Leader of the Year

Rob Meyer

Outstanding Social Program

Intrigue Hip Hop Dance Phenomenon

Outstanding Educational Program

Psi Chi Series

Outstanding Co-sponsored Program

Grizzdance Film Festival

Outstanding Traditional Program

Greek Carnival

Honorable Mention: Meadow Brook Ball

Outstanding Religious Program

Hunger Banquet

Outstanding Community Service Program

Golden Key PB & J Day/ Once [a] Month Easter & Spring Baskets

Outstanding Recreational Program

Halloweekend at Cedar Point

Oustanding Diversity/ Multicultural Program

Lebanese Night 2007

Honorable Mention: Summer Solstice

Outstanding Political/ Social Awareness Program

The Vagina Monologues

Student Organization of the Year

La Pittura

New Student Organization of the Year

Xpressiv B.T.Z

Greek Organization of the Year

Phi Sigma Sigma

Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Outstanding Student Organization Advisor

David Archbold

Outstanding Greek Organization Advisor

Robin Althaver

Black and Gold Award

Dr. Virinder K. Moudgil