Students share culture and hit the dance floor at CSA’s International Night

By Wendell Smiley

Contributing Reporter

Oakland University celebratedethnicity from around the world at “International Night 2008.”

The annual event brings manydifferent ethnic backgrounds together with globally inspired performances,cuisine and displays. 

The Center for Student Activities sponsoredthe event and Jean Szura served as coordinator. International Night is one oftwo events held each year to celebrate international culture. 

“This is a tradition at theuniversity,” Szura said. “This is a fun way to expose [students to] other cultures.”

Szura’s intention was to representthe entire world with the menu and music selections. Lawrence Mansour, afreshman political science major served as the DJ.

“The open food helps everyone tocelebrate,” Mansour said. “Even with all the different ethnicities, food canbring everyone together.”

International Night provides a rareoccasion for various cultural clubs and associations to promote collectively.Michael Angel, mathematics junior, attended the event as a member of the ChinaClub.

“This is a chance to come togetherwith other organizations,” Angel said. “We all are just alike, mostly languagemajors.”

The performances were the highlightof the evening, hosted by Michele Lopez and Dat Nguyen. 

Many of the pieces were inspiredfrom intercontinental roots. Ranna Mikha, English sophomore, performed in theChaldean dance and skit. 

“I felt very excited to show whatour culture looks like and perform this unique show,” Mikha said. “It feltreally good to perform but my heart is with the huge refugee crisis in Syria.”

Angie Freeman, marketing senior, isthe founder Xpressiv B.T.Z, a new organization at Oakland University, inspiredby The Broadway Show “Stomp.” Xpressiv B.T.Z make their beats using ordinary items like trashcans andbrooms.

“We bring something to Oakland thatis diverse,” Freeman said. “This has not been seen before on campus; we makebeats, do stomp, step, hip-hop, and dance.”

The evening offered everyone achance to relax and see the positive side of culture. 

Toward the end of the night, thedance floor was opened to all. Harmonies and melodies capped the evening aseverybody danced to rhythmic sounds.  

Darius Gary, a senior humanresources development, said that International Night promotes diversity in astrong way

“This event ties a university ofculture to one common thing,” Gary said.