Grizzlies may get chance to be Lions

By KRECYNTHIA DAY

Contributing Reporter

Rochester Lions Club is trying to start an independent chapter at Oakland University.

David Bates, a member of the club, which does community service work and tries to help people in need, said a couple OU students are already interested in joining. The club is planning on holding more recruiting events on campus in February, and hopes to start at OU by spring.

Bates said that since 1944, The Rochester Lions Club has been assisting their community and those beyond through voluntary work and financial support for over ten organizations, such as the Penrickton Center for Blind Children and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

“The club’s primary objective is to serve others through its volunteer efforts,” Bates said. “Members are expected to volunteer their time to raise money that can be used to support a multitude of projects and organizations.”

They especially give service to those who have vision or hearing impairments.

Bates said the Rochester Lions Clubs has more than eighty men and women who have come together for one common goal: the belief that they can make a difference in the greater Rochester area and possibly the world.

“The mission of the Rochester Lions Club is to create and foster a spirit of understanding among all people for humanitarian needs by providing voluntary services through community involvement and international cooperation,” Bates said.

To have a independent Lions club chartered at OU, at least 20 students must show an interest. So far, Jamie Zalewski from the Lambda Alpha Sigma Honor Society and Norina de Angostoni the Human Resources Development Professionals Honor Society have expressed an interest.

“We believe that college age students also have a desire to make a difference in their campus community and beyond,” Bates said. “Since our new President Barack Obama has called for young people to engage in service, our club is hoping to attract students who would like to respond to the President’s challenge. We also believe that students who become Lions club members on campus will join a community Lions club once they have begun their professional careers.”

The Rochester Lions Club is not simply about servicing others, but also embodying what they call “Lionism”.

“Lionism is based upon service to mankind,” Bates said. “Thus, being a Lion means commitment to helping people in need. Being a Lion also means joining others in purposeful endeavors while building friendships and having a good time.”

For more information, email Rochester Lions Club President David McKenzie at [email protected] or call 248-860-6586.