‘Made in China’ shown in Fireside

By CAROLYN D. WILLIAMS

Contributing Reporter

More than 35 people of diverse cultural backgrounds sat quietly eating popcorn and drinking cola while watching the showing of the documentary film “Made in China” in the Oakland Center fireside lounge this Monday. 

The legislative affairs director of the Oakland University student congress hosted the film as part of global issues awareness campaign.

“We want to make all OU students aware of how we as a nation affect the rest of the global economy,” said Saman Waquad, OUSC’s legislative affairs director.

Before the start of the film, Waquad handed out global issues awareness campaign flyers to people passing by, as well as free popcorn and drinks to movie-goers.

Gathering around the free refreshments, many on-lookers asked what the film was all about.

“The narrator in the film reported that 140 million Chinese peasants left their farms and families to work in a growing manufacturing network of small factory sweatshops,” an OUSC member said.

The film exposed how workers are asked to work 7 days a week, 8-12 hours a day, and continue this cycle as long as 2-3 years before being allowed  to return home to visit immediate family members. It focused on a young husband and wife who were forced to leave their home, and their two young children to be raised by their elderly grandparents.

The film changed the perspectives of some students.

“This is an eye-opener to the things that go on in China,” said Robert Lor, a visiting Oakland Community College student.

“I think it is unfair to force people to make products for America,” Lor said as he walked away.

“This film shows the human cost of everything made in China and how it affects the entire world,” Waquad said.

OU student Lynn Beaghan said she felt humbled after seeing the film.

“It’s humbling, and I feel horrible that parents in China have to split-up from their kids for years because of the constant demand in the US for low-cost products,” she said.

OUSC will be hosting a full week of free global awareness events through Thursday, April 9.