Magic 105.1 celebrates nursing students

Jim Harper and the Magic Morning Show broadcast live in the Oakland Center Tuesday, May 5 from 6-10 a.m. as part of National Nurses Week.

Presented by Oakland University’s School of Nursing, the broadcast by WMGC Magic 105.1 featured games, prizes, refreshments and a meet and greet with the show’s anchors. OU nursing student Christina Pruess participated in an on-air trivia game and won.

This event was part of the Morning Show’s “Salute to Nurses Week 2009,” where the team goes to various hospitals throughout metro Detroit May 1-8.

According to Amy Johnson, the OU Nursing Administrative Project Coordinator, the Morning Show showed its support for nursing education by coming to OU’s campus as part of its campaign for promoting nursing as a profession.

Johnson said that 50-70 people attended the event, and that it helped raise awareness of the obstacles facing nurses and the fund-raising needs for the new Human Health Building for the School of Nursing and School of Health Sciences, which is about $20 million. 

With the new building, there will be more labs, simulations and other opportunities for students to work with faculty in research.

“The more practice you have doing this stuff, the more comfortable you are with it, and the less mistakes you have when you go to the hospital,” Johnson said.

Nurses Week is an annual celebration May 6-12 of the hardworking men and women in the nursing profession in honor of the birthday of Florence Nightingale, founder of modern nursing.