OUSC resolves to support MIP exemption bill

Oakland University Student Congress adopted a resolution Monday that supports a bill that would exempt minors from Minor in Possession charges if they had to seek medical attention for alcohol poisoning.

The MIP Exemption Bill, which has already passed through the Michigan House of Representatives, would also provide amnesty to minors who called or helped transport the affected student.  

The resolution, sponsored by legislator Brett McIsaac and co-sponsored by legislator Anthony Ivone, was adopted on the grounds that “it can positively impact the health and safety of OU’s students.”

“Hopefully it’ll save lives,” said McIsaac. “That’s the biggest concern we had.”

Mark Medaugh, student activities funding board chair, supported the resolution, hoping it will serve as a “last minute reminder” to students who need to seek medical attention but are afraid of getting in trouble.

The resolution was adopted with the support of 14 OUSC members. There were three abstaining votes and no votes against, though during the discussion prior to the vote, some members voiced concern that it would reward minors who drank too heavily.

But Nick McCormick, public relations agent for OUSC, said students would not be getting off completely. He said fines would be dropped and students wouldn’t have to perform community service, but they would have to attend one session on underage drinking. The bill would only override MIP charges and would not exempt anyone from Driving Under the Influence charges.

OU is one of 15 members of the Student Association of Michigan, and is now among the member schools to adopt a resolution. Saginaw Valley State University and Northern Michigan University, also SAM members, already passed a similar resolution and other schools are in the process of doing the same.  

Jordan Twardy, president of SAM and OU alum, said SAM is already pushing to get the bill passed, but having the member schools pass a resolution  “legitimizes what SAM does.”

The bill was introduced to the Michigan Senate in March, but they have yet to act on.