Week of remembrance spreads acceptance

In recognition of the 11th annual international Transgender Day of Remembrance, OU students are being asked to remember those who have fallen victim to gender identity hate crimes.

Hector Jackson and Alexa Van Vliet, along with help from the Gender and Sexuality Center, the Gay-Straight Alliance and the Sociology Club, have organized a week full of events to remember, spread awareness, and educate students on issues surrounding the transgender community.

On Monday, Jackson and other members of the GSC discussed transgender issues in Lake Superior Room B while the names of transgender individuals who were killed as a result of hate crimes, looped in the background.

“Shot to the head” and “stoned to death” were described as causes of death on the screen, depicting just how brutal some of the crimes could be.

“The importance of these events is to remember people who have been killed. We also ask that in this week people examine their own prejudices,” Jackson said. “These events are targeted to everyone, not just the trans or LGB community. We want everyone to reflect on these problems.”

Wednesday, the Sociology Club is sponsoring a showing of “For the Bible Tells Me So,” a documentary that examines the intersection of homosexuality and religion in the US and its effects on the gay community. The GSC will also host a drop-in discussion Thursday at 11:30 a.m. during their normally scehuduled “That Time of the Week” program.

The GSC is also sponsoring a petition which asks OU to include gender identity and expression in the Oakland University non-discrimination policy against bias-based discrimination, violence and harrassment.

“We have a chance at Oakland University to reject; to reject discrimination, to reject prejudice and reject the violence that comes from them by being inclusive in a policy that would protect everyone,” said Melissa Pope, coordinator of the Gender and Sexuality Center.

Events on campus conclude on Thursday night, with a 7 p.m. showing of “Boys Don’t Cry,” in Lake Superior Room A, Pope also encourages students to attend the Nov. 20 Transgender Day of Remembrance memorial at the Drayton Avenue Presbyterian Church in Ferndale, to listen as the names of all the victims murdered last year because of transgender identification.

“It’s extremely powerful especially when you see how many murders are unsolved. It’s an eye-opening experience” said Pope.

Students can drop by the GSC on the bottom floor of the Oakland Center across from the student lounge and speak with both Pope and Jackson.