Campus Briefs, December 7

By Masudur Rahman

Senior Reporter

Trying to create an within-campus shuttle

Oakland University Student Congress is soon planning on proposing to the university administration to extend the use of the Bear Bus.

Currently, it is used only on the weekends to transport students from campus to the local Rochester area. The shuttle program was created by OUSC and paid for by the OU president’s office and OU housing.

OUSC’s student services committee will propose that the Bear Bus be used on weekdays during the peak hours of 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to make continuous loops and transport students from distant parking lots to popular destinations on campus.

Brett McIsaac, member of the committee, said this would help during winter months, when using the free bike share program bikes would be unsafe.

The proposal states it will cost $5,061.54 per semester to do this with one bus, and $10,123.08 to do this with two buses.

Trying to label buildings based on academic units

At its monthly meeting Dec. 3, the Oakland University senate passed a proposal to place the names of OU’s academic units on campus buildings that house the administrative offices of the unit.

This would need to be approved by the OU board of trustees before it can be done.

The proposed labels would go on the following buildings: College of Arts and Sciences on Varner Hall, School of Education and Human Services on Pawley Hall, School of Engineering and Computer Science on Dodge Hall, School of Nursing on O’Dowd Hall, School of Business Administration on Elliot Hall and School of Health Sciences on Hannah Hall.

Frances Jackson, nursing associate professor and co-sponsor of the proposal, said this idea came from seeing the OU William Beaumont School of Medicine on the O’Dowd building where the medical school’s administrative offices are located.