Did they really just say that?

“So I wonder if you can grow weed on Farmville, and sell it to the guys on Mafia Wars.”

The words, uttered by an Oakland University student, were posted on the Facebook group, “Overheard at Oakland University.”

That’s just one of the many comical and sometimes confusing quotes can be found on the group page.

The group is based on the popular “Overheard” sites such as www.overheardinnewyork.com, where humorous quotes are posted.

The group’s purpose is to post overheard conversations at OU. Usually these conversations are heard in passing and posted because the listener’s interest is piqued by the oddities of the statements.

Conversations can range from unintentional witticisms to clueless statements on the part of the speaker.

The group was created by senior Amy Ring, who formed the group after seeing some friends join a similar group at another school.

“I saw the Overheard at Michigan State University; a few of my friends joined and I thought it would be a great thing to start and get students involved with as well,” she said.

She also wanted to allow students to bond online in a way students at those universities can, thanks to their respective groups.

“I think it causes a camaraderie among the students, that there’s this ridiculous stuff being said on our campus and they can come together for it,” she said.

Ring wanted to create something that larger schools have for OU’s campus.

“I always want to make sure that Oakland can be participating in the other stuff that the other big schools are in,” she said.

Nicole Derocher is a member of Overheard at OU and has posted quotes on the group. She said she enjoys the “outrageous” aspect of the posts.

Derocher said her topics of interest are posts about drunken nights people have had, when people start talking about other people, and relationship stuff.

Sophomore Chris Holt, the creator of OU’s Texts from Last Nights group, formed the group after his friends sent texts to the website www.textsfromlastnight.com.

Based on Texts from Last Night, users can post amusing text messages that they have sent or received.

Like Ring, he got the idea for the group after seeing other schools having their own groups.

“I had friends that tried to submit their texts to the actual website but didn’t get through and we wanted a chance to get people’s texts visible,” he said.

Unlike the websites that these groups are based on, the niche Facebook versions lack the anonymity found on those sites due to them being on Facebook: A factor that Ring quickly learned.

“This guy walked into the OUSC office, we asked how we can help him and he said ‘Oh, nothing, just vulturing,'” said Ring, OUSC’s legislative affairs director.

Ring then posted the quote on the group. After the winter break, he returned.

“I put that on there and the other day he came in here and he asked, ‘Were you the person who put on there that I was a vulture?’ and I said yes,” Ring said.

Ring said they managed to share a laugh about it.

Others still frequent the groups without joining. Kyle Morery, while not a member of the group, had found himself quoted on the group’s page.

“I was quoted on Overheard saying, ‘clearly its spiffy name makes it entertaining,'”Morery said.

Membership for both groups is large and growing rapidly, though both are not as large as their big-school counterparts..

Overheard at OU has 1,861 members while Texts from Last Night – OU has 676 members.

“It started off fast; the first night I had it, there was about 60 members, when I woke up the next morning I saw 260,” Holt said.

Ring has been happy with the way membership has been going for Overheard at OU.

“I was just happy that it could grow so quickly,” she said. “I was worried for the first few hours because not many people were posting things, then all of a sudden there was a few hundred people and it was growing so quickly.”

The Facebook group “Save the Bike from Beer Lake” is a group of 583 members that pays tribute to the bicycle that is frozen in Beer Lake.

Updates are given regarding the bike’s status and students have also made suggestions as to how to save the bike.

“I think it’s hilarious. It’s a meaningless group but it’s a way of showing spirit at OU,” freshman Hasan Kaakarli said.

Student congress legislator Dan Evola has a different use in mind for his Facebook group.

He is the founder of “Oakland University needs a football team,” which has 1,026 members.

“The response is greater than I expected. We have had alumni on the group giving advice on how to approach the situation,” he said.

Evola has been pleased with the response to the group thus far.

“The interaction in the group isn’t forced and it can allow people to have an open form of communication,” Evola said.

While the group has a strong membership base, Evola is intent on recruiting new members.

“I plan on sending a message to the members to get more people. I did it before and group membership increased heavily,” Evola said.

Accessible by anyone in the campus community, the groups serve to help pass some time, serve up laughs and create another free way to get people involved on campus and with each other.