Celebration highlights heritage

If Oakland University students are looking for activities throughout the cold months of January and February, then they need to look no further than OU’s own African American Celebration 2010.

Events will give people a chance to learn and understand the family, spirituality, politics and culture of Africa.

The Center for Multicultural Initiatives will be hosting these activities. The month long event will offer a wide range of events that are free and open to the public.

“It is a wonderful thing that OU hosts African-American Celebration each year,” Center for Multicultural Initiatives Student Assistant Juquatta Brewer said. “Not only does it embrace and enrich the culture here at OU, it also shows we are an openly diverse school that celebrates every one of all backgrounds.”

The celebration began on Jan. 18 with the Keeper of the Dream Scholarship Award Celebration. Three students were honored for their work and promotion with different interracial organizations.

The keynote speaker was Editor Emeritus of Essence Magazine Susan L. Taylor. Jan. 18 was also the opening reception for AAC month.

On Jan. 26, students had the opportunity to watch an Akanni Omowale African Drum and Dance Ensemble.

Not only were students encouraged to watch the performance, but dance lessons were given as well.

Later this week, the documentary “Happily Ever After” will be played at 6 p.m. on Jan. 28 in the Fireside Lounge. After the viewing, students can take part in a panel discussion. The discussion and documentary will offer a look at the relationship between Africans and America.

There will also be a presentation on Americans in Popular Culture Symposium on Jan. 29 in the Oakland Room of the Oakland Center.

February will start off with a discussion of “Lucy’s Story” by Larry Hamilton. This evolutionary discussion will take place from noon to 1 p.m. in the Fireside Lounge on Feb. 1.

Feb. 2 will give students a chance to listen to lectures from Hubert G. Locke, dean and professor emeritus of the Graduate School of Public Affairs from the University of Washington. Locke will discuss the case study of celebrating the African American community.

Also on Tuesday will be the History of Black Stereotyping in the Media: From Amos and Andy to Dave Chappelle.

The History of Black Stereotyping in the Media will continue on Thursday Feb. 4 with the documentary “Hip Hop: Beyond the Beats and Rhymes.”

Like “Happily Ever After,” this film will also be followed by a panel discussion in rooms 128-130 at 5 p.m. in the OC.

A lecture regarding the creation of the African America Community will be given by Captain Orlando Gregory at 12 p.m. in the Fireside Lounge of the OC on Monday Feb. 8.

One of the more serious topics will be held on Thursday, Feb. 11 in the Fireside Lounge at 6 p.m. A panel will discuss Female Gender Mutilation and how the nation can overcome it.

They will also talk about promoting healthy relationships within the African and African American societies.

That Friday, students and the public can get a true taste of Africa starting at 4 p.m. Participants can personally experience what African food tastes like.

Also on Friday,Feb. 12 will be a performance by the Dayton Contemporary Dance Company. The dress rehearsal will be open to students for free.

Tickets for the performance may be purchased at the Varner Box Office and cost $21 for general admission and $11 for students. The performance will also take place on Saturday,Feb. 13.

To wrap up the month, there will be an AAC Closing Ceremony. The ceremony will host the Psychedelic Shack — a ’70s Party. The end of the celebration will take place on Thursday, Feb. 18 at 5 p.m. in the Gold Rooms of the OC.

“I am looking forward to all of (the events),” Brewer said. “I have either witnessed the planning or participated in the other events to know that they are going to be amazing!”

Students that want more information about the events can go to www.oakland.edu/aacm/. There, they can also find out more about the Center for Multicultural Initiatives.