Wanted: singers

While many Oakland University students had gone home or back to their dorm rooms to relax around 8 p.m on Jan. 13, there was a select group of students with butterflies in their stomachs.

The nerves belonged to those auditioning for OU’s A Cappella group, Gold Vibrations.

Gold Vibrations is a fairly new organization created by sophomores Elyse Foster, Sarah Robinson, and Elizabeth Lordon and freshman Ana Rodriguez.

The four attended Rochester High School together and wished to continue their shared passion of singing through college.

“We all love to sing,” Foster said. “So we wanted to start a group where we could all sing together.”

The idea was such a success that they had 12 people immediately join the group during the fall semester.

Gold Vibrations generally sings popular songs that people would hear on the radio.

The week prior to auditions, students were encouraged to try out for the rising group.

Those that auditioned heard about the opportunity through social networks, such as Facebook and its numerous applications, or simply by word of mouth.

Those who were already members were given the chance to judge the incoming participants last Wednesday.

One by one, aspiring participants took center floor and sang a chorus and verse of their favorite pop song.

Songs ranged anywhere from Jay Sean’s “Down” to ’80s hits from Pat Benetar.

After the audition was completed, the group would ask silly questions to get a feel of the person’s personality.

In all, there were 14 people that tried out for the group.

“We are really looking for two tenors, a bass, soprano and an alto,” Foster said. “But we’re really open to any position.”

When the night wrapped up, the group voted for those they thought possessed the talent and personality for the organization.

On Jan. 17, the new members were announced.

The four new members are freshmen Zac Rogers, Regina Dolza, Anna Falkowski and Nikki Book.

With the group’s popularity and number of members rising, Gold Vibrations hopes to expand their familiarity with other students.

They have already sang in local areas like the Village of Rochester Hills.

“Our long term goal for Gold Vibrations is to participate in ICCA (International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella) and to put Oakland University on the map,” Foster said.