GSA presents drag show

Sexy bartenders, renditions of Rihanna songs and plenty of tiaras are just some of the things one can expect to see at the seventh annual Gay Straight Alliance drag show.

This year’s drag show theme of “fantasy and fairytales” will be presented Friday, April 2 at 7 p.m. in the banquet rooms of the Oakland Center.

The event is free and open to all OU students.

Alexa Van Vliet, the president-elect of the GSA said that this year’s show will have “better decorations” since many volunteers last year were “grabbed at the last minute.”

The banquet rooms will be outfitted with dragon and fairy centerpieces as well as a giant paper castle.

Drag queen DeAngela Show Shannon of PowerDiva Productions will be performing once again in this year’s show.

Her crew is also featured in the show.

She has over 17 years of performing experience.

In addition to DeAngela, drag performers Sabin, Diva, Crystal Harding, Innocente, Sydney Charles and Tori Lynn will also be lending their talents.

“The performers do interact a lot with the audience,” said Van Vliet. “It’s a lot of fun.”

An intermission show will also take place.

OU dance group Xpressiv B.T.Z is set to perform their signature mixture of dance, step and stomp.

Student and founder of Harmonic Hoops Olivia Pizzo will also be performing a hula hoop routine.

Both of the intermission performers donated their time and services.

The event was made possible with the usage of the GSA’s Student Activities Funding Board money.

Other sponsors of the event are the Women’s Issues Forum, China Association, Japan Club, and International Allies.

Van Vliet credits Kirsten Hansen for her work as a liaison between GSA and other organizations.

A member of the GSA and a volunteer in the Gender and Sexuality Center, Hansen has been working along with 12 other volunteers to make the show a success.

She said that a common misconception is that attendees must dress in drag.

“It’s free and anyone can attend,” said Hansen. “You do not have to dress in drag to go.”

Hansen said that she has witnessed disapproval from those that may be uncomfortable with the show’s content firsthand.

“People will take things down,” said Hansen. “I’ve seen people put things right over (the fliers).”

She remains optimistic about the turnout. The event brought in about 200 audience members last year.

Hansen and Van Vliet encourage students to go and note that many international students plan on attending this year because of International Allies’ sponsorship.

“I think it will be a good experience for anyone and broaden their horizons,” said Hansen. “(People) should come even if they think it is weird.”

Van Vliet said that the GSA is still looking for volunteers for the event. Volunteers will either be sexy bartenders serving non-alcoholic cocktails or fairytale princes or princesses.

“The bartenders were a hit last year,” said Van Vliet. “The more, the merrier with volunteers.”

Those interested in volunteering can e-mail volunteer coordinator James Bialk at [email protected] or stop by the GSC.