Lenore Marwil Jewish Film Festival kicks off at Meadow Brook Hall

Next week, Oakland University will preview four films out of the 40 or so that will be shown later in the month at several venues around town as part of the 12th annual Lenore Marwil Jewish Film Festival.

The event, a first for Oakland, takes place at Meadow Brook Hall on April 14 and 15, with two screenings, at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., followed by discussions led by OU faculty members.

Elysha Koppelmann-White, associate professor of philosophy and interim director of the Judaic Studies Program, which is co-sponsoring the event, said that OU hosted a dinner and panel discussion with faculty from OU off campus last year. 

The response was good and this year, the Jewish Center contacted them and wanted to do something “even bigger” and they came up with the idea of having the preview at OU. 

Eric Lumberg, chairman of the Jewish Film Festival said that they were “thrilled” about having the preview at OU this year.  

Lumberg said that the movies that are being previewed at OU are not only Jewish movies, but have more universal themes. 

“We pick movies that obviously have some sort of Jewish connection or Jewish content but the majority of them are much more than that,” he said.

The movies for the preview were selected to correspond with material being taught in the classes of the faculty who are leading the discussions. Lumberg said they took each class or topic and “fit in a movie with each of them.” 

“It was a phenomenal idea; we loved the idea,” Lumberg said.

Koppelman-White said that students in those classes are being offered extra credit for attending the preview.

Tickets for the preview are $7.per movie or $10 for a double feature, and free to OU students with student ID.

Advanced ticket purchase for the festival preview is recommended.  

Those interested in attending the previews can contact Kristen Clark by phone at 248-370-2650.