Campus Briefs – June 2010

Run for Autism raises $32,000 for OUCARES and Homes for Autism

The second annual Run for Autism, an event which gathered support from over 600 people to raise awareness for the disease, was held on Oakland’s campus on May 16. Families and friends impacted by the effects of Autism were among those in the surrounding community to participate in a 10k race and 5k walk to gather funds for OUCARES and Homes for Autism. Approximately $32,000 was raised from the event and will be donated to both organizations. According to Angie Schmucker, director of development in Oakland’s School of Education and Human Services, the 2010 Run for Autism brought in an increase of sponsors and more opportunities to enhance awareness and support of Autism. An extensive list of race winners from the event can be found at www.therunforautism.org/results.htm.

OU’s International Dance Club hosts free classes

The International Dance Club, previously known as the OU Folk Dance Club, will be hosting International Dance classes on Thursdays from 7 to 9 p.m. Students of all skill levels are invited to attend these free events. The classes will focus on the Balkan region, including Romania and Greece, as well as the Middle East, including Israel and Armenia. These dances alternate between fast and slow paces, simple and complex moves, and holding hands in a line or in a closed circle. Amy Koza, coordinator of the events, says that the classes are for students who are looking to get exercise, socialize, and have fun. Dances taught in previous classes include Setnja from Serbia, and Debki from Lebanon. The club hopes to expand the regions to include West European and African dances. The classes will run until December and take place in room 126 of the Oakland Center. For more information, contact Koza at [email protected].

IGVC encourages students to lead careers in robotics

The 18th Annual Intelligent Ground Vehicle Competition (IGVC) took place June 4 through 7 on Oakland’s campus near the Adams and Walton intersection. The event, hosted by the Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center (TARDEC) and OU, aims to direct students to a future career in robotics. Students are challenged to design and engineer autonomous vehicles to compete in mobility competitions. Oakland was among 58 teams to compete in the 2010 challenge. Oakland University has competed in over 17 competitions since 1993. In addition to the universities, TARDEC supports the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) 2010 competition, Breakaway, in which high school teams build robots to conquer a game similar to soccer. More information on IGVC and TARDEC and be found at www.igvc.org/.

Michigan Pinball Expo begins July 8 at OU

The Michigan Pinball Expo will be held inside the Oakland Center starting Thursday, July 8 and running until Sunday, July 11. The event will feature over 100 pinball machines, all of which can be played for free after purchasing an admission ticket. Competitions for “Pinball wizard” and “Wizard in training” will be held for an entry fee. The winner of the Pinball Wizard tournament will be crowned “Michigan Pinball Champion” and will win a cash prize of $1,000. Pinball machines will also be for sale at the event. Advance ticket prices for adults are $40 for a four-day show pass and $10 for a single day ticket. Ticket purchases at the door are $55 for a four-day show pass and $15 for a daily pass. For more information and to purchase advanced tickets, visit www.mipinball.com.

Meadow Brook Theatre director and actor named Artistic Director

The Meadow Brook Theatre appointed Travis W. Walter as the new artistic director by MBT’s Board of Directors on May 17. Walter has been working professionally in the theatre on and offstage since his graduation from OU in 2002. He has worked on shows such as “Witness for the Prosecution,” “The Foreigner” and “Romeo & Juliet.” Along with directing many shows, Walker has created, directed and produced his own piece, musical “Hey There, Good Times: A Tribute to Cy Coleman” in 2001. Walter says that he is grateful for his new position, and is dedicated to encouraging the staff to create the best shows possible.