Academic Skills Center offers new hours, programs

The Academic Skills Center offers multiple free services to help students beat the summer learning gap and get a head start on their classes. While the ASC helps with paper writing and math problem solving, they also provide guidance to struggling students and can help strengthen study skills.

The ASC offers new hours for this academic year. The main office, located in North Foundation Hall, will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The satellite office in East Vandenberg Hall will be open from 5-10 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

“I’m very pleased to hear that the ASC is extending their hours because this will give more leeway to the students who have hectic schedules,” sophomore Katherine Buxton said.

The ASC  also offers free tutoring for most 100-200 level courses to registered OU students. Students can either sign up online for individual tutoring or walk into one of the offices for group tutoring.

“It truly is a huge help to go to the ASC because you can be shown how to look at the subject in a different perspective,” said Buxton.

The ASC also has a Supplemental Instruction program for traditionally demanding classes. The SI sessions have student leaders who have previously taken and performed to expectation in the course they instruct.

Along with leading group-oriented review sessions two to three times a week, they also attend every class with their students while taking current notes and doing the homework. Those interested in becoming a Peer Tutor or SI Leader can stop in the ASC office and pick up an application.

The new Early Alert Program identifies and contacts students who are struggling academically early in the semester.

Those at the ASC also work with students on Academic Probation and Dismissal Option Status. Through guidance, they offer help to strengthen skills and assist students to return to good academic status.

Students will have an opportunity to meet this semester’s peer tutors and SI Leaders on Wednesday, Sept. 1 between noon and 2 p.m. outside between North and South Foundation. Tutoring for both locations will begin Monday, Sept. 13.