Students vie to be the next Grizz

Three hopeful students gathered outside the Vandenberg lounge on Sept. 8 with a similar dream — to become the next Grizz.

Their search for anonymous fame and admiration culminated into one moment in front of the athletics marketing department to prove they have what it takes to represent the Grizzlies.

One student, dressed from head to toe in OU athletic gear, waited anxiously in the hall for his turn to audition.

“When I went to my first Tigers’ game ever, I saw Paws (the Tigers’ mascot) and he was loved by everyone,” the potential Grizz said. “I always wanted to be a mascot after that.”

According to the Athletic department, the Grizz is required to attend all basketball games, provide in-game participation, and act in a sportsmanlike manner at all times.

The potential Grizz has a few other standards of his own.

“The Grizz should have an upbeat attitude and love for the team,” he said. “If I get the job, I’m going to do whatever I can to get the crowd going and keep the game fun and lively.”

The identity of the Grizz is known to very few individuals. The policy ensures the safety of the student and adheres to the mascot tradition throughout the country.

“The secretiveness of the Grizz is because the person who is in the costume, they are building themselves into who the Grizz is supposed to be: loving and energetic,” Matt Stachelski, the student manager of the basketball teams, said. “You basically become the Grizz.”

When the season kicks off on Nov. 9 in the O’Rena, the new Grizz will have the chance to don the eight pound-bear head. The potential Grizz looks forward to that moment with anticipation.

“I can only sum it up in one word,” he said. “Awesome.”