Students express anti-Obama sentiments

Students were protesting on campus yesterday afternoon when LaRouche Political Action Committee supporters were passing out information to students in the area between North and South Foundation halls.

The LaRouche PAC had individuals who were informing passing students that President Obama should be impeached.

The group declined to comment to The Oakland Post.

Shortly after the supporters set up at 11 a.m., a spontaneous group of student protesters gathered, wearing Photoshopped images of President Obama with a halo above his head.

The student protesters were advised to stand 30 feet away as the group distributed flyers to anyone who stopped at the booth.

Doug Kowalski, an OU senior majoring in history, was one of the more animated student protesters yesterday.

“They (LaRouche PAC) had multiple pictures of Obama with a Hitler mustache on, which is what we were protesting,” Kowalski said.  “We’re not protesting them or what they were saying, we’re only protesting the way they were going about it.”

Matthew Hatfield, an OU senior communications major, said it is a good idea to listen to activists, such as those on campus, but more important for students to form their own opinions.

OU freshman Kermit Knuppenburg, who was among the group of student protesters, held his hands up to form peace signs while saying, “Obama is not Hitler.”

“We’re just here to represent peace,” Knuppenburg said, and mentioned that he found it offensive that while walking into class he was presented with a picture of the president in a Hitler mustache.

“They were spewing hateful things and the police asked them to leave,” Kowalski said.

Jordan Taylor, an OU sophomore who was approached by the LaRouche supporters, said the group was accepting donations of up to $250 toward their movement.

According to what Taylor was told, some of the basis for the group’s reasoning is that Obama’s health care reform is a plan to eliminate the “weakest link on the totem pole,” he said.

He also said that while he was approached by one of the advocates to join their cause, the group was also recruiting members for an upcoming international webcast this month.

The LaRouche activist group left campus around 4 p.m. at the request of the Oakland University Police Department, according to Kowalski.