Student to Professional conference held for upperclassmen

“Social Media is More than Kegs and Breakfast Food” is just one of the several presentations planned for the first Student to Professional Conference to be held Friday, Sept. 17 in the Oakland Center.

Student to Professional is a conference specifically geared towards juniors and seniors at OU, said Krista Malley, director of the Academic Skills Center and a member of the committee behind the conference.

“We wanted to do something unique and meaningful for upper class students,” she said.

The format is designed to mimic a professional conference, with a continental breakfast and business portfolio included, and will provide tips and the latest tools for a successful transition from OU student life to the career world.

University Housing, Career Services, the Advising Resource Center, the Academic Skills Center, and Undergraduate Admissions are on the conference committee, as well as several undergraduate and graduate student participants.

The conference is comprised of several individual sessions and will cover topics such as proper hiring etiquette, networking tips, resume advice and salary negotiation.

“Social Media is more than Kegs and Breakfast Food” is a topic that Rachel Reardon, a marketing intern for Career Services and a member of the Student to Professional committee, will be speaking on. It will include utilizing online sources such as FaceBook and Twitter to find a job.

As a member of the Student to Professional committee, Reardon began working with the group at the beginning of the summer and has developed the graphics for the conference, including the program book.

There will also be a student-lead fashion show titled “Go Black: What Not to Wear,” during the lunch break.

Malley said the group is expecting a turnout of 250 students or more and students can stop in at any time during the day to catch a session.

“The first 250 students that register and attend will get this great portfolio from our main sponsor, Chrysler,” Malley said.

“We’re really trying to give that OU advantage out to our students,” said Jim Zentmeyer, director of University Housing. “We want our students to be the best prepared out there to take on the world and to succeed.”

The conference is free to all OU students and will begin at 8:30 a.m. and run until 4:30 p.m.

Interested participants can register in advance online at www.oakland.edu/StudenttoProfessional